Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
capella said:
We just launched a new offer today, its $2.00 Priority Shipping in the USA.
This will help offset the $6.95 shipping cost.

Enjoy!
-tom

Seriously? I just ordered yesterday!!! Just send me an extra Graham Cracker extract!

Seriously
Eric Stoffer

Hit my target gravity of 1.070 (didn't want a really high abv/calorie brew). Now that I think of it my lack of base malt combined with leaving the other amounts the same will probably result in a sweeter than expected brew, we'll see. If I did it again I'd add the rice hulls even though I BIAB. It drained slower than my arms liked, I need a hoist.

Enjoy!
-tom

Wish I would've known this ahead of time. Any chance on a $4.95 refund?

Enjoy!
-tom

Just picked up graham cracker and chocolate mint flavors. I'm going to (yet again) shoot for a pumking clone this winter. Woot!

$2 shipping total for these items confirmed. That's pretty cheap. No-brainer. Plus, they use Paypal which is also another plus for me.

Ordered the ingredients for this today. Gonna brew it up sometime next week.

MrNic said:
Ordered the ingredients for this today. Gonna brew it up sometime next week.

Same here, I had to adjust the grain bill a bit it allow me the ability to fit a 10g batch in my MT. So I would say its loosely based on the recipe.

Does anyone from Canada know of a place to grab graham cracker extract without having it shipped up from the States? I want to try this out, but shipping here from Capella is $15.

Does anyone from Canada know of a place to grab graham cracker extract without having it shipped up from the States? I want to try this out, but shipping here from Capella is $15.

Premier Gourmet on Maple, near Niagara Falls Boulevard. It's about 10 minutes from the outlet mall.

I gotta get this brewed once I get paid on the 15th. Should be ready just in time for the season.

Got all of the ingredients today. Gonna brew it up sometime next week.

pumpkinale.jpg

i brewed an extract version on Sunday. the difference were 8.5 lbs of Light DME instead of the 14 lbs of american 2row. i couldn't find any pumpkins yet so i baked 2 cans of Libbys and put 1/2 of it in the muslin bag while steeping the Crystal and Victory, then 1/4 of it in a muslin bag at 30 minutes left, and the last 1/4 of it i mixed directly in the wort with 5 minutes left. 1 tsp of ground cinnamon instead of the sticks. Turbinando Sugar instead of Demerera. 1 packet of S-05. everything else the same.
tasted great, Im waiting another week or so to add in the vanilla beans(they are soaking in Rum - Flor De Cana), pumpkin pie spice & Graham Cracker extract. I dont use a secondary so ill add it directly to the primary.

Ok gang, I've been holding off on posting this until I transferred into secondary to see how it tasted. Thursday night, I put a sample of Pumking side by side with my beer for a taste test. My three taste testers couldn't tell the difference.

OG: 1.080
FG (when added to secondary): 1.018
Approx: 8.3 % abv

I have to credit "Cannondale" for the original recipe that I copied. Here are the ingredients:

Fermentables:
14 lbs 2-Row American Pale Malt
1 lb Victory
12 oz Crystal 80L
2 lbs pumpkin (small Cinderella pumpkin, skinned, cubed and baked for 45 minutes at 350 degrees, mashed (little water added) and coated with honey, then cooked another 45 minutes at 350 - then cooled to 154 degrees to be added to mash)

3/4 lb Demerara Sugar (added to boil after hot break)
1/4 lb Light Brown Sugar (added to boil after hot break)

Hops:
3/4 oz Magnum Hops @ 60 min
1/4 oz Sterling @ 15 min

Additives:
8 oz Lactose @ 15 min
1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient @ 10 min
1 Whirlfloc Tab @ 10 min
2 tbsp fine chopped candied ginger @ 5 min
3 Ceylon cinnamon sticks (real cinnamon sticks ordered online)
1/2 tsp whole cloves @ 5 min
1/2 tsp nutmeg @ 5 min
1/2 tsp Allspice @ 5 min

Added to Secondary:
2 Madagascar Vanilla Beans (2 fresh beans split down middle, scraped and soaked in 4 oz vodka for 2 weeks - Vodka added to secondary)
1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 tsp. Capella water soluble Graham Cracker Extract (purchased online and added to secondary)

Yeast:
2 packs Safeale US-05

Mashed at 154 degrees for 90 minutes (no sparge using 10 gallon Home Depot water cooler)

Boiled for 60 minutes.

Fermented at 66 degrees for 2 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in secondary.

Granted, the beer is still in secondary, and may taste a little different when it comes out, is conditioned and bottled, but if everything stays remotely the same . . . I'd call it an exact clone.

I've read the posts about replicating the "graham cracker" taste of Pumking. In my opinion, the secret is the Capella Graham Cracker Extract. Before it was added, the beer was very good, but missing something. After the addition, it was SPOT ON!!!

In fact, to make sure I have an adequate supply, I am planning on brewing a second batch to last through the holidays.

Thanks to Cannondale and all the other members of Homebrewtalk.com. This was my first attempt at home brewing and it turned out exceptional!! Couldn’t have done it without the advice of everyone on this forum.

Cheers!!!!!!

Just wondering: I am pretty sure if pumking had lactose in the recipe they would have to print it on the label according to FDA regulations on food allergies.

Are we sure they are using lactose? or maybe Maltodexterin? Thoughts?

I wouldn't put the pumpkin in the boil. I've put it in the mash, and that's what Southern Tier does too. It's purée pumpkin, says so right in the bottle. Plus when I took the tour of their brewery a few weeks back,the guide said it goes in the mash.

So if gwdLaw's recipe uses 2lbs of mashed and cooked Cinderella pumpkins what would be a comperable pureed pumpkin mix in a can? Or is this simply just saying that its real pumpkin pureed, not canned pumpkin puree?

My wife reeeeally wants me to make this. Sadly, I'm reading here about lots of attempts but very few success stories!! :( That doesn't bode well.

SpeedYellow said:
My wife reeeeally wants me to make this. Sadly, I'm reading here about lots of attempts but very few success stories!! :( That doesn't bode well.

No guts no glory or fill in your pub saying. I'm putting things together as well. U don't know that I want an imperial, but gonna give it the Ol American Try!

SpeedYellow said:

I basically did the recipe on pg 20. It is in secondary, and smells spot on. Still has a good alcohol burn, but has faded over the past few weeks. I anticipate it will be great with some more aging.

So I've had my Pumking in bottles for only 11 days, but couldn't resist trying one out this evening. Put one in the fridge for 4 hours and cracked it open. It's obviously not ready but it's already very good. The nose is spot on, the flavor is excellent! About the only thing that seems different is it didn't have that slight "buttery" taste that I recall getting with Pumking. I'm not complaining though, this is an awesome clone recipe (I went with the one on page 20.) Here's a pic, it looks darker than what it actually was.
EDIT: See my post on page 34.

Resampled_2012-08-11_17-57-47_403.jpg

Chug said:
So I've had my Pumking in bottles for only 11 days, but couldn't resist trying one out this evening. Put one in the fridge for 4 hours and cracked it open. It's obviously not ready but it's already very good. The nose is spot on, the flavor is excellent! About the only thing that seems different is it didn't have that slight "buttery" taste that I recall getting with Pumking. I'm not complaining though, this is an awesome clone recipe (I went with the one on page 20.) Here's a pic, it looks darker than what it actually was.

That glass rulz! I tasted a sample outta primary after 10 days and it's pretty bangin. I'm debating the secondary addition of pumpkin spice, I'm guessing it fades so it's necessary?

That glass rulz! I tasted a sample outta primary after 10 days and it's pretty bangin. I'm debating the secondary addition of pumpkin spice, I'm guessing it fades so it's necessary?
Not sure about how rapidly the spices would fade. If anything, they need to meld together. I followed the recipe exactly as described and I wouldn't cut out the pumpkin pie spice. If you're doubtful about it maybe add 1/2 the amount then take a tasting sample a few days later to see if it's where you want it. If not, add more. You can always add more spice but you can never take it back out.

Ok, thanks for the arm-twisting guys. I'll brew this and make my wife happy. Using the recipe on page 20 (post #191, I presume).

Except I'll skip the lactose. And I'll use canned pumpkin, because cutting & baking pumpkins seems way more trouble than it's worth.

Brewing this up right now!
It appears you're using ginger root instead of candied ginger. What's your reasoning there, and how much are you using? Seems to me like ginger root would be better, but who knows how much to use...

It appears you're using ginger root instead of candied ginger. What's your reasoning there, and how much are you using? Seems to me like ginger root would be better, but who knows how much to use...

My reasoning is that it's WAY cheaper. I just searched for a conversion between candied ginger and grated ginger.

Doing a search just now, it's a 1/4 ratio. So you would use 1/2 tbsp. grated ginger in place of 2 tbsp. candied ginger.

My reasoning is that it's WAY cheaper. I just searched for a conversion between candied ginger and grated ginger.

Doing a search just now, it's a 1/4 ratio. So you would use 1/2 tbsp. grated ginger in place of 2 tbsp. candied ginger.
1/4 ratio would have been my guess too. I also plan to use fresh grated nutmeg, and again about 1/4 of what people are using. Fresh grated nutmeg is amazingly potent.

Got it all brewed up. Unfortunately my OG is 1.071, 9% lower efficiency than normal. I think it may have to do with the pumpkin in the mash making it harder to rinse the grains.

What temp did you mash oit and sparge? Did you use any rice hulls? (Just ordered my graham extract)

What temp did you mash oit and sparge? Did you use any rice hulls? (Just ordered my graham extract)

My mash temp ended up a little low, 152*. I do stovetop BIAB, so I didn't use rice hulls. I lift the grains onto a colander and rinse them with 170 degree water. Usually my efficiency is 78%, so I'm not sure what happened.

Is there a way to graham extract on your own? I was thinking of finely chopping some graham cracker and letting them steep in some vodka for a few weeks. Filter in a coffee filter than add the vodka.

Any comments if that would work? would the vodka be too much?

Is there a way to graham extract on your own? I was thinking of finely chopping some graham cracker and letting them steep in some vodka for a few weeks. Filter in a coffee filter than add the vodka.

Any comments if that would work? would the vodka be too much?

I'm sure you could do that, it would just take a lot of trial and error to get the amounts right.

Regarding whether or not to mash the pumpkin, it seems unnecessary. We would probably want to mash it if there were a lot of starches in pumpkin, but the Libby's can says it's only 7% carbohydrates by weight (which includes starch) but that's all fiber & sugar. Googling confirms very little starch content. But we may want to mash it out of convenience. I'm not sure if mashing and risking stuck sparge is much easier than tossing it in a nylon bag and boiling. Commercial brewers probably MUST mash since I doubt they could use giant steeping bags.

But truly, pumpkin has nearly no flavor so it probably makes no difference how it's used.

p.s. I gotta agree with earlier posters -- Pumking has little/no cinnamon aroma or flavor. It seems to be entirely allspice, cloves, vanilla, and whatever graham-cracker-extract type flavor they use.

Regarding whether or not to mash the pumpkin, it seems unnecessary. We would probably want to mash it if there were a lot of starches in pumpkin, but the Libby's can says it's only 7% carbohydrates by weight (which includes starch) but that's all fiber & sugar. Googling confirms very little starch content. But we may want to mash it out of convenience. I'm not sure if mashing and risking stuck sparge is much easier than tossing it in a nylon bag and boiling. Commercial brewers probably MUST mash since I doubt they could use giant steeping bags.

But truly, pumpkin has nearly no flavor so it probably makes no difference how it's used.

p.s. I gotta agree with earlier posters -- Pumking has little/no cinnamon aroma or flavor. It seems to be entirely allspice, cloves, vanilla, and whatever graham-cracker-extract type flavor they use.

I agree. Next time I'm only going to use one can of pumpkin. I wouldn't use any at all, but it seems weird to brew a pumpkin ale without using any pumpkin.

my sparge is going incredibly slow with 3 can's of pumpkin in there . I did forget the ginger though..so I guess it gives me time to goto the store!

I brew a pumpkin ale every year and have learned that adding pumpkin is really to say "yeah, it's made with real pumpkin". I've done up to 3 cans and never really noticed a "pumpkin" flavor, it's all about the spice. Now I throw in one can of Libby's and call it a day. Can't wait for this year's batch, I'll be adding the vanilla bean and graham extract for the first time.

I brew a pumpkin ale every year and have learned that adding pumpkin is really to say "yeah, it's made with real pumpkin". I've done up to 3 cans and never really noticed a "pumpkin" flavor, it's all about the spice. Now I throw in one can of Libby's and call it a day. Can't wait for this year's batch, I'll be adding the vanilla bean and graham extract for the first time.

wish I would have realized this before spending $11 on pumpkin at my grocery store. Could have invested that into graham cracker extract!

Back