American Wheat Fermentation Length?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemi

Reaction score
I just finished an American Wheat beer last night using WLP001 to compliment my Hefe (WLP300) for a party August 11th. I'm pretty sure the Hefe will be done (brewed on the 22nd) but I question if the American Wheat will be. Does WLP001 require more time to ferment then the Hefe yeast?

2 weeks for a hefe...are you kegging or bottling? if you didn't transfer to secondary, it should be fine after 10 days or so. take a reading. let it go as long as you can. if you're kegging, you can force carbonate it by rolling it, but i would let it sit for a while if you can.

i personally brewed a german hefe on the 22nd and it will be ready on the 5th. i'm kegging after 10 days and letting it carb for four. i would prefer more time, but it will still work!

DeathBrewer said:
2 weeks for a hefe...are you kegging or bottling? if you didn't transfer to secondary, it should be fine after 10 days or so. take a reading. let it go as long as you can. if you're kegging, you can force carbonate it by rolling it, but i would let it sit for a while if you can.

i personally brewed a german hefe on the 22nd and it will be ready on the 5th. i'm kegging after 10 days and letting it carb for four. i would prefer more time, but it will still work!

I expect to keg the hefe on the 5th or 6th of August and really not too concerned about it being done and speed carbonating at 40psi is always an option if my time starts to run out. But I'm not sure if the American Wheat will be done or if it will taste green?

homebrewer_99 said:
I'm planning on brewing 2 HWs this weekend for Labor Day parties.

10 days in the primary and 20 days in the keg. ;) :D

Good time scheduling and planning always helps reduce your worry on bringing green beers to parties. Really wish I started earlier. I guess I can just wait to see if the American Wheat is good enough to bring with the Hefe.

Back