Noob Fermentation Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Living in the hell on earth town called Bakersfield, CA. Fermenting my first batch during the summer in my closet doesn't seem to be an option. The captured temp of my coolest closet is 84 degrees. I dont have central cooling, just window AC's.
I do have a garage with a fridge, its warmest setting, is a temp of 63 degrees. Going by John Palmer's How to Home Brew, neither of these are acceptable fermenting temps. Any ideas?
Maybe stashing my carboy at a buddies house, that stays at 75 all day?

Living in the hell on earth town called Bakersfield, CA. Fermenting my first batch during the summer in my closet doesn't seem to be an option. The captured temp of my coolest closet is 84 degrees. I dont have central cooling, just window AC's.
I do have a garage with a fridge, its warmest setting, is a temp of 63 degrees. Going by John Palmer's How to Home Brew, neither of these are acceptable fermenting temps. Any ideas?
Maybe stashing my carboy at a buddies house, that stays at 75 all day?

You could build a temperature controller for the fridge for less than $50. Check out the DIY section.

63 will be a pretty good temp for most ale yeasts; it should be easy to select varieties that work well in that temperature range. You'll be a few degrees warmer than that in the fermenter.

You could build a temperature controller for the fridge for less than $50. Check out the DIY section.

sweet, didn't even think that.
i have a reef tank with a controller that works just like that.

63 will be a pretty good temp for most ale yeasts; it should be easy to select varieties that work well in that temperature range. You'll be a few degrees warmer than that in the fermenter.

if i could just throw it in the fridge out back, id be super happy. im brewing on a budget and would rather use what i have.

you did not say what beer you are making, but given your options, I would choose the 63F fridge every single time.

A cheaper option is to buy one of those igloo cube coolers, fill partially with water and then use ice bottles to maintain whatever temp you need.

I used to do that, but just last week splurged for the temp controller and chest freezer from craigslist and it is great not having to deal with changing out ice bottles or worry about travelling on the weekends away from my fermenting beer.

Times a million 63 is good. I tried all the swamp cooler methods and everything. Huge PITA and still didn't work for me. Better to just ferment hot and deal with the off flavors. I ended up kicking on the central and that fixed me right up.

PrestigeWorldwide said:
Am currently using jrg42's suggestion, and its working great!!!!
Average capture temp is 72F - 75F

That is still warm for most ales. Under 70 is good. Belgians sometimes people like em in the 90s even.

Latest posts

Back