After Bottling My Beer tastes sweet (yuck)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbytuck

Reaction score
I've had this problem on and off for the past two years: straight out of the fermenter, my beer tastes fine. I just brewed the blue moon clone here (for example) -- and out of the fermenter it was dry with a mild grainy taste. To me, this was fine, and I went ahead and bottled it. Two weeks later, it's got a weird, sweet "homebrew flavor." It carb'd up fine -- but the sweet taste is there -- and over the top prominent. It's not cidery -- and not even "hot" from alcohol -- it's straight up sweet and "homebrewy."

What's driving me crazy is that not every batch I bottle has this flavor. Only one out of every two or three batches. But it's not consistently consistent -- I can go three batches, and I don't get the taste. The only thing that's consistent is the sweet taste. I've made batches that don't have the taste -- and are superb (at least to me and beer drinking buddies). But every two batches or so I get the sweet taste -- and then I know all the bottles are ruined.

So, a few additional details:

- Mashed with my HERMS at 150F. Temp was stable for 90 mins. Mash-out @ 170F. I've checked my thermometers in my system, and all calibrate fine.

- Boiled wort for 90 mins. Cooled to 62F with cleaned and sanitized therminator.

- Pitch yeast @ 62F. For the batches that tend to be sweet, I'm using Safale-04 but for this blue moon clone, I used Safale-05. The packages are in date, but I've noted this as a possible culprit -- dry yeast. But wait -- there's more.

- Fermented @ 60F for 21 days with water in cooler and ice bottles. In dark basement. Swap out ice bottles morning and evening. Temp never gets above 61.5. Never below 59F.

- I've been using Cooper's carb tabs. This *might* be the culprit. However, I've had two recent batches with Cooper's carb tabs (2 tabs per 22oz. bottle) that are fine (with Safale-04!) (Date on carb tab bag -- all the bags I have -- are listed as Date of manufacture: 11/09) I store the carb tabs in my cool basement -- unopened bags.

- All equipment is cleaned and sanitized at bottling. (Cleaning day before in OxyClean free then santizing for 15 mins in StarSan. Bottles soaked the week before in OxyClean, sanitized the day of bottling with StarSan. I never use the same tubing twice.)

Anyway, I'm vexed. Could it be that the Safale-04 yeast is pooped out in the bottle and all I'm tasting is the sugar from the Coopers Carb Tabs? The sweet taste over the past two years is always the same. The beer out of fermenter is always fine -- I always pour myself a half-pint to sip after I've finished bottling. I'm avoiding bulk priming due to the possibility of moving beer from fermenter (Better Bottle) to bottling bucket -- but I think this is what I'm going to do from here on out.

I don't think it's an infection because the sweet taste usually shows up after three or four days. (And it's always the exact same taste. No cider, no butter -- just weirdly sweet.) Doesn't an infection usually take a while to develop? Is it possible to develop immediately in the bottle?

Next batch I plan to split up the batch with carb tabs in 6 bottles/Munson's tabs in 6 bottles/pouring a teaspoon of sugar in each of 6 bottles and leaving six bottles without any added sugar or carbonation whatsoever.

Any ideas? Would popping the caps and adding a grain or two of yeast (Safale-05, for example) help eat away that sugar?

Initially, I thought it was from mashing too high. Then I got a HERMs, and my mash temp has been exactly stable since dialing it in.

Then I thought it was from too high fermentation, so I got the 60 quart coolers and did the whole ice bottle thing.

I've had the taste with brand new bottles (22oz) and from washed bottles. Taste is always the same. Taste never goes away once it's in the bottle. I've tried a few I bottled last year with the taste -- and it's right there. Not stronger -- not weaker. It's exactly the same.

Help!

PS -- I bottle condition in a basement at 64F and in a closet at 75F. The only difference I've noticed is that the sweetness takes 2-3 days to develop in the closet and maybe 6-7 days in the basement. (Don't want to keg until I figure this out.)

WTF? !

PPS -- Are Cooper Carb tabs just plain crappy?

I've never used the tabs, just the bottling sugar mixed into my bottling bucket. From what you've written above, I would start by not using tabs to carbonate and see what happens.

Why would you use those carb tabs anyways? Just do what everyone else does - boil up a little corn sugar and pour it into a bottling bucket. Carefully siphon on top of it then bottle.

"I'm avoiding bulk priming due to the possibility of moving beer from fermenter (Better Bottle) to bottling bucket"

^ I don't follow

Not sure I understand this:

PS -- I bottle condition in a basement at 64F and in a closet at 75F. The only difference I've noticed is that the sweetness takes 2-3 days to develop in the closet and maybe 6-7 days in the basement. (Don't want to keg until I figure this out.)

Are you saying your beer gets sweeter as it ages? Can't imagine that happening. Taking longer to lose the sweetness in the lower temps makes sense though. And only two weeks may be too soon to taste test especially at lower temps.

Not sure I understand this:

Are you saying your beer gets sweeter as it ages? Can't imagine that happening. Taking longer to lose the sweetness in the lower temps makes sense though. And only two weeks may be too soon to taste test especially at lower temps.

Yep. The beer gets sweeter as it ages -- but only up to a point.

In other words, after 6-7 days in the basement -- it's carb'd but also overwhelmingly sweet.

After 3 days in the closet, same thing -- fully carbed but fully sweet.

But this is what I don't understand: if it's the sugar tabs (and pooped out yeast), wouldn't the beer be *flat* but sweet? In other words -- wouldn't the yeast in the bottle *not* consume the sugar? I've got beer with great head retention, pours great, looks great -- but taste it and it's got the sweet taste.

The bottles in the coolish basement take longer to get the sweet taste -- but it's there. It's absolutely crazy. After a couple weeks, the beer is overwhelmingly sweet. It doesn't start out sweet. It starts out dry and decent. But give it a week, and BLAM -- the sweetness hits. Ditto for the beer in the closet. A day or so (I tried it) and it's fine -- flat, but fine. After 6 days -- BLAM -- sweet.

WTF?!

Yeah, I'm ditching the carb tabs for sure. I think they're part of the problem. I tried them to save a bit of time from racking beer from Better Bottle to bottling bucket and then into bottles but goddamn it's now driving me crazy.

I tested it on my SO, btw. She tried a sample straight out of the fermenter on bottling day. Loved it. Dry, a little grainy -- but flat of course. Same beer from 6 days in the basement -- all sweetness. Absolutely no character whatsoever -- just sugary "homebrew." Then I gave her a sample from a year ago. Different style of beer -- but one that I knew had the sweetness. She tried it and agreed that the tastes were identical. No malt flavor, no hops -- just sweet. (Of course, out of the fermenter I can taste the malt, smell the hops, and detect the back bitterness.) It's as though the beer in the bottle loses absolutely all character but the sweetness -- but carbs up beautifully.

What's crazy is that the sweet flavor is always the same. It doesn't matter what kind of beer it is -- I've had it happen on 1.060 beers, on a 1.100 barley wine, and a recent 1.040 Kolsch.

All had the *exact* same sweet flavor.

Must be the carb tabs. You'd think they'd be foolproof -- I mean, how can $&%&%@ sugar cubes (essentially) be an issue.

If it's not the tabs, I'm going to go bonkers. I can't think of what else to zero in on.

Save yourself the headache, and grab some corn sugar (you can calculate how much you need in BeerSmith or here), boil it in a cup or two of water, and rack your beer onto that before bottling. I wouldn't rely on those carb tabs completely.

Yep. The beer gets sweeter as it ages -- but only up to a point.

In other words, after 6-7 days in the basement -- it's carb'd but also overwhelmingly sweet.

After 3 days in the closet, same thing -- fully carbed but fully sweet.

But this is what I don't understand: if it's the sugar tabs (and pooped out yeast), wouldn't the beer be *flat* but sweet? In other words -- wouldn't the yeast in the bottle *not* consume the sugar? I've got beer with great head retention, pours great, looks great -- but taste it and it's got the sweet taste.

The bottles in the coolish basement take longer to get the sweet taste -- but it's there. It's absolutely crazy. After a couple weeks, the beer is overwhelmingly sweet. It doesn't start out sweet. It starts out dry and decent. But give it a week, and BLAM -- the sweetness hits. Ditto for the beer in the closet. A day or so (I tried it) and it's fine -- flat, but fine. After 6 days -- BLAM -- sweet.

WTF?!

Yeah, I'm ditching the carb tabs for sure. I think they're part of the problem. I tried them to save a bit of time from racking beer from Better Bottle to bottling bucket and then into bottles but goddamn it's now driving me crazy.

I tested it on my SO, btw. She tried a sample straight out of the fermenter on bottling day. Loved it. Dry, a little grainy -- but flat of course. Same beer from 6 days in the basement -- all sweetness. Absolutely no character whatsoever -- just sugary "homebrew." Then I gave her a sample from a year ago. Different style of beer -- but one that I knew had the sweetness. She tried it and agreed that the tastes were identical. No malt flavor, no hops -- just sweet. (Of course, out of the fermenter I can taste the malt, smell the hops, and detect the back bitterness.) It's as though the beer in the bottle loses absolutely all character but the sweetness -- but carbs up beautifully.

What's crazy is that the sweet flavor is always the same. It doesn't matter what kind of beer it is -- I've had it happen on 1.060 beers, on a 1.100 barley wine, and a recent 1.040 Kolsch.

All had the *exact* same sweet flavor.

Must be the carb tabs. You'd think they'd be foolproof -- I mean, how can $&%&%@ sugar cubes (essentially) be an issue.

If it's not the tabs, I'm going to go bonkers. I can't think of what else to zero in on.

Again, I think you are taste testing too soon. Give them at least a month before you judge sweetness.

Another thought is are you tasting your beer BEFORE you add the tablets? That would explain why it is "getting sweeter" and tasting too soon explaining why they taste sweet at all.

I never used those tabs you are talking about so I can't comment there.

Again, I think you are taste testing too soon. Give them at least a month before you judge sweetness.

Another thought is are you tasting your beer BEFORE you add the tablets? That would explain why it is "getting sweeter" and tasting too soon explaining why they taste sweet at all.
QUOTE]

I think this is the case here also.

I did a batch for my brother-in-law which I bottled. We tasted it a week into carbonating them and it was unbearably sweet. A week later it was perfect.

Sweetness can come from being underhopped, or underattenuated. Can you give a sample OG/FG and a sample recipe where the sweetness is there?

Another source could be water. If your IPAs are the ones that are too sweet, maybe it's a lack of sulfate in your water. (Sulfate really enhances the "bite" of hops). Have you done any water testing, or additions?

If the carb drops ferment out, I can't imagine them causing any sweetness. If the beer is kept at 70 degrees or above for at least 4 weeks, they should be fermented out.

Some of my beers taste cloyingly sweet when they're young, especially my brown ale. Another few weeks and it goes away. Meaning, 3 weeks in the bottle and they're carbed and sweet. 6 weeks in the bottle and they're good.

Sweetness can come from being underhopped, or underattenuated. Can you give a sample OG/FG and a sample recipe where the sweetness is there?

beat me to it... need recipe and gravity's because I'm thinking out of the fermenter you're just not tasting the sweetness that's always there.

Thanks for all the great replies. I appreciate it.

I'll certainly let the Blue Moon brew sit.

As an example, I did a cream ale on 4/26/10 OG was 1.055 / FG 1.011.

It's been sitting since 4/26/10. I popped a bottle yesterday (7/10/10) -- it's got the same exact sweetness that 1/3 of my brews have. (Whereas the other 2/3 are great -- or at least very good.)

Another example: I bottled an Irish Red on 9/17/09. Popped it open about a month ago -- 6/10 -- and it's got the same exact sweetness that my recent cream ale has. No malt character, no graininess, no hops -- all sweetness. (But straight out of the fermenter both the cream ale and Irish Red were fantastic -- dry, a little hoppy in the case of the Irish Red -- very drinkable.)

If the 9 month old brews had mellowed a bit, I'd say it was green. But it can't be green Irish red if it was bottled nearly a year ago (cap was intact, stored in my basement). The taste, though, *exactly* the same. The only similarity between the two is the carb tabs (one was brewed on a cooler setup, the other was brewed on a HERMS setup.)

However, as I say, other brews turn out great. I've got a Black IPA I brewed in May that's very good -- very hoppy, definite malt, a bit of alchohol bite but not too much. A hefeweizen I did during the first week of April was fantastic -- a near clone of Sierra Nevada's Kellerweiss.

Interestingly, both of those good brews were bottled with Cooper's Carb tabs (which is why I didn't immediate zero in on those -- but now I think those things are culprit.)

It's the variability that's driving me crazy -- the inability to say, okay, every single brew I did with the carb tabs was bad. Some are, some aren't. It's like Russian Roulette.

Water -- yes. That's one area I've not explored at all.

I use a single campden tablet in 15+ gallons. I crush it up in the HLT before I start heating with my 5500W heating element. It's straight Chicago/Lake Michigan tap water.

Is it possible for water to directly impact the beer that quickly in the bottle? Wouldn't I see that out of the fermenter? (I'll call my village water department this week to get the H20 composition readout.)

Thanks for the that tip. I'm going to explore that over the next few months.

The residual alkalinity of water has a major impact on the flavor profile of a beer. The impact is so dramatic that once you understand how to manipulate it you can create two totally different beers with the same grain/hop bill.

I use only RO water and build from there. The results amazed me when I started and I realized that years ago, when I was using mystery water it was likely the culprit for all of the inconsistencies in my beer.

I would not trust the samples given by the water company. They can change dramatically, unless you are always getting you water from the same source, which is unlikely in a large city.

I like the experiment idea to bottle up one batch four different ways and see if it makes a difference. Rather than leave six bottles unprimed, you could try bulk priming those with corn sugar.

I've had this problem on and off for the past two years: straight out of the fermenter, my beer tastes fine. I just brewed the blue moon clone here (for example) -- and out of the fermenter it was dry with a mild grainy taste. To me, this was fine, and I went ahead and bottled it. Two weeks later, it's got a weird, sweet "homebrew flavor." It carb'd up fine -- but the sweet taste is there -- and over the top prominent. It's not cidery -- and not even "hot" from alcohol -- it's straight up sweet and "homebrewy."

What's driving me crazy is that not every batch I bottle has this flavor. Only one out of every two or three batches. But it's not consistently consistent -- I can go three batches, and I don't get the taste. The only thing that's consistent is the sweet taste. I've made batches that don't have the taste -- and are superb (at least to me and beer drinking buddies). But every two batches or so I get the sweet taste -- and then I know all the bottles are ruined.

So, a few additional details:

- Mashed with my HERMS at 150F. Temp was stable for 90 mins. Mash-out @ 170F. I've checked my thermometers in my system, and all calibrate fine.

- Boiled wort for 90 mins. Cooled to 62F with cleaned and sanitized therminator.

- Pitch yeast @ 62F. For the batches that tend to be sweet, I'm using Safale-04 but for this blue moon clone, I used Safale-05. The packages are in date, but I've noted this as a possible culprit -- dry yeast. But wait -- there's more.

- Fermented @ 60F for 21 days with water in cooler and ice bottles. In dark basement. Swap out ice bottles morning and evening. Temp never gets above 61.5. Never below 59F.

- I've been using Cooper's carb tabs. This *might* be the culprit. However, I've had two recent batches with Cooper's carb tabs (2 tabs per 22oz. bottle) that are fine (with Safale-04!) (Date on carb tab bag -- all the bags I have -- are listed as Date of manufacture: 11/09) I store the carb tabs in my cool basement -- unopened bags.

- All equipment is cleaned and sanitized at bottling. (Cleaning day before in OxyClean free then santizing for 15 mins in StarSan. Bottles soaked the week before in OxyClean, sanitized the day of bottling with StarSan. I never use the same tubing twice.)

Anyway, I'm vexed. Could it be that the Safale-04 yeast is pooped out in the bottle and all I'm tasting is the sugar from the Coopers Carb Tabs? The sweet taste over the past two years is always the same. The beer out of fermenter is always fine -- I always pour myself a half-pint to sip after I've finished bottling. I'm avoiding bulk priming due to the possibility of moving beer from fermenter (Better Bottle) to bottling bucket -- but I think this is what I'm going to do from here on out.

I don't think it's an infection because the sweet taste usually shows up after three or four days. (And it's always the exact same taste. No cider, no butter -- just weirdly sweet.) Doesn't an infection usually take a while to develop? Is it possible to develop immediately in the bottle?

Next batch I plan to split up the batch with carb tabs in 6 bottles/Munson's tabs in 6 bottles/pouring a teaspoon of sugar in each of 6 bottles and leaving six bottles without any added sugar or carbonation whatsoever.

Any ideas? Would popping the caps and adding a grain or two of yeast (Safale-05, for example) help eat away that sugar?

Initially, I thought it was from mashing too high. Then I got a HERMs, and my mash temp has been exactly stable since dialing it in.

Then I thought it was from too high fermentation, so I got the 60 quart coolers and did the whole ice bottle thing.

I've had the taste with brand new bottles (22oz) and from washed bottles. Taste is always the same. Taste never goes away once it's in the bottle. I've tried a few I bottled last year with the taste -- and it's right there. Not stronger -- not weaker. It's exactly the same.

Help!

WTF? !

PPS -- Are Cooper Carb tabs just plain crappy?

Hey Bobbytuck, did you ever figure out what was the culprit? I have the same issue and it's been frustrating me for years! Very inconsistent when it pops up, but consistently that same sweet flavor and aroma. I keg my beer and do starters and it's definitely fully attenuating and not a bottle conditioning issue (at least in my case). It's something that develops only after carbonating the beer though. They taste excellent out of the fermentor, but once kegged and carbed sometimes this weird sweetness develops. I thought perhaps it was my CO2 lines (potential vector for contamination) and changed them out, but it's still happens occasionally. Drives me crazy! One thing I've noticed is that when I brew at a friend's house I never have this problem. The beers always turn out clean and delicious. Been considering maybe it's an issue with my apartment. I do have two large cats and wonder if they might be part of the problem - it's hard to maintain a relatively "sanitary" environment with them two and all their fur about. Do you have cats, by chance??

Yes -- I solved it. The problem was patience -- or lack thereof. Seriously. We hear that beer is "ready in two weeks." For some beers, that's true. For other's it's not. What I did -- and what I will continue to do when I start back brewing in the spring -- is to bottle, condition for two weeks, then move the conditioned bottles to my basement for another two weeks -- and then, after four weeks, taste.

This is nothing new -- the idea of being patient and letting things happen -- but it really works. Now, out of the 30+ batches I brewed last summer and fall, I did have a couple of bad batches -- infected -- so what I started doing was to sample a single bottle after two weeks to see if there were any potential concerns -- overcarb'd, cloudy, too much of a vinegar smell, etc. -- the standard things pointing to an infection. But the sweet smell alone -- which is most likely the yeast in the bottle metabolizing the bottling sugar and carbonating -- is no longer a concern for me. If it's there after 1 week, it's gone after four. Problem solved!

I also upgraded -- and double-checked -- my sanitation procedures post-boil. Nothing fancy -- just made sure that I sanitized my chiller with boiling wort for at least three minutes (thanks to a pump recirc'ing the boiling wort through the chiller and then back into the BK) and made sure my fermenters (Better Bottles) were clean and completely Star San'd from bottom to top before filling with wort. Both of my infected batches were (I'm 99% sure) infected due to blowoffs during the fermentation. I use blowoff tubes, but both times the fermentation was so vigorous that it managed to pop the stopper completely out of the fermenter and gusher up and over the sides .

I still use the carb tabs -- simply because they're easy to control, easy to use, and make bottling super quick. I thought these were the cause, and I know folks like to badmouth tabs, but they're great -- and once you realize how many you need to get a specific level of carbonation, it becomes really, really easy to fully control the carbonation by adding or subtracting tabs. (Even at the individual bottle level -- allowing me to zero in on an optimal level of carbonation by examining several bottles with different levels.)

I use Munton's and Cooper's tabs. No worries -- no problems. No weird floaties post-bottling, either. Just crystal clear, tasty brew!

Yeah, my first time using those carb drops carbed up a batch in one week with no sweet taste as described. The drops are just corn sugar. People have been spooning corn sugar straight into bottles for decades.

The cooper's carb drops are sucrose (table sugar). The Munton's carb drops are dextrose & DME. I got that from there brew tech on the cooper's forums.
And as for bottleing beers,I find I have to let average gravity ales condition (not just carb) for 4-5 weeks before they're aged properly,which takes a bit longer than carbonating from my observations. And I've used the cooper's carb drops before. Besides dextrose,sucrose,demerara sugar. Bulk priming is all too easy,& I prefer that so I can prime to style with more accuracy. But that's me. Do what suits you.

The cooper's carb drops are sucrose (table sugar). The Munton's carb drops are dextrose & DME. I got that from there brew tech on the cooper's forums.
And as for bottleing beers,I find I have to let average gravity ales condition (not just carb) for 4-5 weeks before they're aged properly,which takes a bit longer than carbonating from my observations. And I've used the cooper's carb drops before. Besides dextrose,sucrose,demerara sugar. Bulk priming is all too easy,& I prefer that so I can prime to style with more accuracy. But that's me. Do what suits you.

I know my bags say corn sugar or glucose on the label. Maybe there is sucrose in there too.

I know this is a old thread but I have this happen with my Kolsch I just brewed. Weird thing is that I fermented a 10 gallon batch in my conical together. Then kegged 5g and bottled 5g. The bottles have this sweet homebrewy taste to them when the keg tasted oh so delish. I let the bottles carb for about a month so I dont think it was to short? Cant figure out why? Im thinking about just buying a counter pressure bottle filler and just scraping the corn sugar all together.

Count me as another homebrewer with this issue and no solution, yet. FGs of my Pale Ales are fine, they can sit in bottles for weeks and weeks and not get any better. I am doing some bottling science on my next batch to see if I can fix it, varying four variables: type of sugar added, temperature of conditioning, obsessiveness of sterilization and aeration during bottling. Hoping one of these is the culprit.

I was the original poster here -- almost 5 years ago -- and I will say that this mystery drove me to stop brewing -- totally. I was getting one batch turning out fine, and then another with the sweet taste. Tried everything -- equipment, priming sugars, etc -- and never nailed it. Frustrated at losing so much beer -- and spending so much time bottling -- I quit. I thought I had it solved (see previous post) but then several more batches had it -- and a couple didn't. I gave up.

For nearly 2 years.

Anyway, I sold my HERMS stuff, bought a PicoBrew, kegged instead of bottled (all in the last two months or so) -- and now my beers (kegged 4 so far) are turning out superb. Smaller batches -- 2.5 gallons instead of 5 -- but the PicoBrew has been amazing. Everything I was doing in my backyard with my massive HERMS is condensed down into the microwave sized picobrew. Plus I brew and ferment in same keg -- and then CO2 transfer to 2.5 gallon serving keg. It's fantastic.

Never solved the sickly sweet, hit-or-miss bottling issue, though. Wasted a lot of money and time -- and while I'm happy now, I regret all the waste (and wasted beer).

I'll still bottle a few here and there (with a Biermuncher setup) -- but the sweet taste took all the fun out of a brew day. I just couldn't stomach all the time for set-up, brewing, tear-down, and cleaning was potentially wasted once the bottles carbed up. I shoulda kegged from the get-go. Never again will I bottle a batch old-school. Ever.

BTW -- two things the PicoBrew alerted me to:

- 2.5 gallon batches are awesome. Less beer, more brewing. I wish someone told me I didn't have to go 5 gallons at a time. Again -- old-school.

- Smaller batches mean experimentation -- and less risk. The PicoBrew day is still long -- about 5 hours including clean-up -- but less grain means more willingness to experiment.

Hey Bobby, that's really interesting. My thought was that going to kegs would not necessarily help, since my main hypothesis is that fruity esters are being released via carbonation, and this would happen regardless of whether they were force-carbed or bottle-carbed. But it looks like your problem was definitely with the bottles, which is super strange given the number of successful bottlers out there. I'll keep you posted on how this experiment works out, but good on ya for solving things on your end.

It really is driving me insane: I'm all-grain with a fair bit of equipment, sanitization and water control, and I have friends who basically toss some extract+water into a pot with some hops, hardly sanitize at all, and their bottles are delicious. :(

The only thing I didn't do -- but I don't know if it would have mattered -- is to swap back and forth between StarSan and Idaphor (sp?). It's possible that something could have grown resistant to StarSan.

Someone mentioned that -- switching between sanitizers -- but I never tried it. I always -- and still -- use StarSan for everything. Maybe -- I don't know.

BTW -- 2 recent kegs were primed with corn sugar (.75oz in 2.5 gallons) while they waited for kegerator space. A week of priming and they were carbed pretty well -- and I thought for sure I'd get the sickly sweet taste from the natural priming in the keg -- but I haven't. So I have no idea what it was. Funny, too, because I rarely see it written about or discussed. Just this thread.

Huh. OK, I might try adding that variable to my experiment... $7 for a bottle on ebay, I'll; give it a shot and see if it makes a difference. I'd rate that as highly unlikely though, since we are both brewing with starsan and the uncarbed beer tasted great (i.e. uninfected). You'd think that the infection would be just as likely to show up in the ferment as in the bottle conditioning.

Update: I just performed the bottling experiment today on a nice golden IPA, obsessively cleaning absolutely everything I use and varying a bunch of bottling variables. The fermented wort tastes and smells fantastic, and hopefully my varying a bunch of things (aeration, carbonation sugar used, sanitization of bottles, cleaning of bottles, sanitizer used, carbonation temps, light exposure during carbonation) can help me zero on in what's going on.

To answer a few questions, fruity flavors come from esters of some yeasts, like Cooper's. Maybe the beer was under-attenuated, leaving some more malty sweetness behind. Ot your mash temp was too high & made more unfermentable sugars. Gusher infections are always possible. Everything that touches the beer has to be clean; anything that touches the beer post-boil has to be sanitized as well. Starsan shouldn't cause any of these effects. Carbonation will bring up any aroma & flavor that's already in there. but it won't cause it. Most likely something on brew day or during fermentation. The carbonation only made it noticeable.

No, it's not esters or carbonation.

Thanks, oljimmy, for sharing the experiment and results!

I have a sweet batch of beer right now. Like you I used the Safale 04. Coincidence? I usually used liquid yeast but ran into a "dead" batch so used the dry yeast in an effort to save the batch. The brew is drinkable but tastes home brewed.

I have a sweet batch of beer right now. Like you I used the Safale 04. Coincidence? I usually used liquid yeast but ran into a "dead" batch so used the dry yeast in an effort to save the batch. The brew is drinkable but tastes home brewed.

Having the same issue of sweetness after bottle conditioning my last two batches. The flavor doesnt increase and the beer seems a little cloudy (although I did stop using Whirlfloc tablets the last two times). It almost tastes slighty under attenuated but my FG is where I wanted it. No infection in the beer. Ive only caught a couple threads online with this issue because it doesnt seem that common. The first thing that caught my eye with the original poster is the fact he used OXYCLEAN. I mean, I know OXYCLEAN is chlorine free but what other chemicals or soapy additives are in there?? There was another thread by someone who isolated this issue which ended up being the result of a soap he used to clean his kegs with. I also have been using Oxyclean to soak my bottles for 24hrs with alot of rinsing inbetween. On bottling day I also use StarSan on all my bottles as well. After tgis issue, A couple brewers told me to stop using Oxyclean and switch to PBR. I also listened to a Beersmith podcast last night about cleaning and chemicals where the interviewee from 5 Star Chemicals (also a homebrewer) recommended against Oxyclean (but they are also the makers of PBW soooo I dunno).

Anyways, I will have to go back and clean all 100 or so bottles for my next batch and soak them in PBR instead and hopefully fix this issue. Will report back with results in a couple months.

Thanks for the update. I would love to see a solution to this problem. Your version sounds just like mine. I have occasionally worried about oxy as it leaves a residue but a good rinse plus starsan gets rid of it. Can't wait to hear how your experiment goes.

Thanks Bobbytuck interesting thread. I too have had the odd dotted sweet brew here and there.. and just wanted to add another piece to this puzzle - my good friend and fellow experienced brewer has had this problem recently with 2 brews ive tasted and he carbs with Co2 - so i know this happens without any priming sugar involvement.
I have had the problem a couple of times - and wonder about acidulated malt to balance the ph.

Any chance some homebrew wizard has discovered the cause of this? Is there any chance it is Safale yeast to blame?

I am about to throw all my gear in the garbage for good over this recurring issue. You can only grimace through five gallons of oversweet failure beer so many times.

Hi
Brand new to this forum so hello everyone. It was this thread that brought me here and I've got info to add.
It's only reading about the safeale 04 that I've realised that every time I've had this issue I've been using that yeast in my brew.
I use a BIAB setup with a no chill cube. I also have an Inkbird itc-310 controlling my fermentation fridge so
It's all pretty controlled and uber clean.
It's the only constant.

I had this issue using US-05 and WLP 001.

thiazzi are you measuring final gravity? This particular issue happens when you hit your expected final gravity and still discover an annoying sweet-ish cloying aroma. Your beer might just be under-attenuating.

If not, my bottling solution involved skipping the bottling bucket entirely. Cold-crash the fermented wort for a week to get it clear, siphon it straight into bottles without using a wand (takes some practice), use cooper's carbonating sugar drops rather than corn sugar in a bucket, cap and forget. Something in my old process, the sugar, the aeration, the plastic in the bucket, the wand... was making this happen. Simplify bottling and see what happens.

Droidbrew, I checked my "can't miss" honey wheat recipe that always turns out right and sure enough it doesn't use safale yeast. For my next batch I will definitely not use safale and I will report back here the results. It's going to be a while, though, since I have to drink 5 gallons of pumpkin failure beer by myself first (co-brewer gf will not drink the sweet failure, or drinks only enough to encourage me to continue in the hobby).

oljimmy, I measure final gravity and don't notice the dominating sweet flavor until after bottle conditioning. I disassemble all my gear each time and sanitize like it is my job, including drowning each bottle and all lines and bottling equipment for at least 2 minutes (usually longer). I do like the idea of just bottling out of the fermenter, but I have heard enough stories about carb duds attributed to carb drops to make me wary.

If my next batch fails I'm going to invest in kegging gear, and if that fails I'm going to quit, I think.

Back