Full Boil vs Partial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutab81

Reaction score
What are the high level benefits? I am getting close to being kicked out of my kitchen by my wife, and was thinking of getting a turkey fryer so I can do full boils.

better hop utilization, less browning of the wort, all the water is sterilized by the boil.

You will need a giant pot. 8 gallon is a great size for 5 gallon batches. Having a spigot on the pot is a major bonus. Stainless is the best but if your on a budget, aluminum will work.

You can do full boils on the stove top but it takes for ever. A propane burner is much better.

A chiller is also super important. The best bang for the buck is an immersion chiller and use a spoon to stir.

+1 Better utilization, less chance for "extract twang" and carmelization.

Use a propane burner or go electric with a ULWD Element, if you can get your hands on a 15.5gal keg, you can modify that to use as a boil kettle and keep the aluminum turkey fryer pot for turkeys!

better hop utilization, less browning of the wort, all the water is sterilized by the boil.

You will need a giant pot. 8 gallon is a great size for 5 gallon batches. Having a spigot on the pot is a major bonus. Stainless is the best but if your on a budget, aluminum will work.

You can do full boils on the stove top but it takes for ever. A propane burner is much better.

A chiller is also super important. The best bang for the buck is an immersion chiller and use a spoon to stir.

I have a homemade wort immersion wort chiller, so that will work. With a spigot (which would be nice instead of siphoning or dumping), is there any concern of trub clogging or getting into fermenter?

+1 Better utilization, less chance for "extract twang" and carmelization.

Use a propane burner or go electric with a ULWD Element, if you can get your hands on a 15.5gal keg, you can modify that to use as a boil kettle and keep the aluminum turkey fryer pot for turkeys!

Love and have heard of the modified Keg. Do I have to get someone to cut off the top then?

I use a 5gal paint strainer bag to filter most of my hop debris during the boil, just throw them in there and clip it to your kettle or do the PVC Reducer thing. I use a plate chiller and have never had a clog.

You can cut the top off yourself, do a search for "keg cutting jig" all you need is an angle grinder and a cutting disk. You can also search for "keggle" on youtube and find videos of ppl cutting the tops off their kegs.

I have a homemade wort immersion wort chiller, so that will work. With a spigot (which would be nice instead of siphoning or dumping), is there any concern of trub clogging or getting into fermenter?

Trub in the fermenter is nothing to worry about. However trub and hops blocking up your spigot is a real concern. What I have is a metal screen false bottom. The larger chunks get strained out and don't make it to the spigot.

mine is kinda like this one with the false bottom and a thermometer installed. It's the bomb!:rockin: But also very expensive:(

I just bought the same model. I have yet to try it, but I hear it comes recommended. I got mine on Amazon.com for $59. Their shipping is sort of slow, but free. If you have time wait, I'd highly recommend buying from them (but then again I buy every on Amazon. I'd do my grocery shopping there it it were possible)

Can't wait to try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a converted keg, and a Bayou SP50 burner. I am all grain now, but used those for full boil extract batches as well...

This from amazon. Tried and tested by a good many of us here, with very positive feedback.

Plus a Keg from a reputable scrapyard for a maximum of $30. This will give you a 15 gal pot instead of the 7.5 gal in your link.....Plus you can really kick the poo out of it without too much harm (It's always best to plan ahead of your obsession)

Back