Increase Hop Aroma by Varying Carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder_Chicken

Reaction score
I'm tinkering with my first ale recipe that I hope to brew this week. I'm building off of a Bass ale clone recipe with the aim of increasing hop aroma without increasing bitterness. This recipe is a mix of steeped grains and light DME with pelletized Fuggles and Kent Goldings hops.

I've read on a few websites that degree of carbonation can alter the "loft" of hop aromas even for an unaltered recipe. Can anyone chime in on this technique, whether it is maybe worth carbonating to the high end of the CO2 volume range for the style?

If there is any merit to this idea I might try sticking close to the brew recipe and might prime my batch with different amounts of sugar to see the effect.

Been meaning to try this as well sometime. I do not know if it will work but am hanging out to see if yours works:mug:

I'm sure that carbonation plays a role, afterall the CO2 coming out of solution is more than likely going to carry things with it. Whether that's going to be perceptible enough to make a difference is anybody's guess. What will be perceptible, is the higher carbonation. More CO2 means carbonic acid which means your beer will have a little bit more 'bite'. In my experience this will be more noticeable than any changes to the hop aroma.

The simplest, probably most effective way, to increase hop aroma are to increase your late addition hops.

All that said, what can it hurt to experiment? If it were me, I'd probably use carbonation tabs. My lhbs sells small tabs such that 4 are required per bottle for 'average' carbonation. I think I'd probably bottle some with 3, some with 4, and some with 5 and then do some tests with my friends. A simple blind tasting would work (so you know which sample is which, but your friends don't) but you could also try a blind triangle test (any given friend gets 3 samples, two are the same, they must tell you which is different).

Just checking out some calculators, most of the priming tabs are a bit too much sugar to fit the styles. I guess it is OK that the first attempts are a bit foamy but in the future dialing in the priming sugar would be nice.

Latest posts

Back