IPA bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vesestilldrumming

Reaction score
I bottled a 114.5 IBU IPA almost two weeks ago. I tasted a couple of them yesterday and they are still incredibly sugary. Will another week or longer get rid of the priming sugar? I mean, I love really hoppy beers and this one is so sweet I can hardly taste the hops.

Did you taste before adding priming sugar? At two weeks you definately shouldnt notice anything. It should be barely noticeable at bottling given the amount you are adding.

Just brewed my Belma IPA a few weeks back, let it sit 3-4 weeks, then bottled, and it is cloyingly sweet. Don't know what happened ....

I did taste before adding sugar and it was pretty good. Now it seems it isnt mellowing out. Kinda bummed but gonna give it another week or two.

what was the FG? Did they ferment out all the way?
What kind of yeast did you use?

Sometimes very big beers with a lot of unfermentable sugars may taste sweet.

Do you have a link to the recipe or kit? What did OG and FG look like? Time can usually heal all wounds (beer related), although depending on hop schedule you might lose some aroma.

All that said I generally wait the standard three weeks before passing judgement.

Original Gravity: 1.058 Final 1.016
IBUs: 114.5 60min 2oz Millennium 30min .5oz Willamette 5 min.5 oz willamette
Alcohol: 5.7
6.6lbs LME
2lbs Crystal. .5lb carapilis
.5lb Carapilis

How did you prime?
How much sugar did you use?
At what temp are the bottles sitting?

Original Gravity: 1.058 Final 1.016
IBUs: 114.5 60min 2oz Millennium 30min .5oz Willamette 5 min.5 oz willamette
Alcohol: 5.7
6.6lbs LME
2lbs Crystal. .5lb carapilis
.5lb Carapilis

That's an awful lot of crystal malt and a somewhat high FG for an IPA which could account for your perceived sweetness. Also, IMO, too much upfront on the hops and not enough toward the back end. At 60 and 30 minutes you just get hop bitterness. It's your 15-0 minute additions you get all your flavor and aroma from hops and I think you could have used a bit more there.

jakenbacon said:
Just brewed my Belma IPA a few weeks back, let it sit 3-4 weeks, then bottled, and it is cloyingly sweet. Don't know what happened ....

I too bittered my IPA with Belma, and it's too sweet. The mash was a couple of degrees high, so it finished higher than usual, but the calculated bitterness should have balanced it. I think I'll start a new thread to discuss, as I think the IBUs are not what is stated on the package.

I too bittered my IPA with Belma, and it's too sweet. The mash was a couple of degrees high, so it finished higher than usual, but the calculated bitterness should have balanced it. I think I'll start a new thread to discuss, as I think the IBUs are not what is stated on the package.

Indeed, I should have been hovering around 85 IBU on this puppy. Doesn't even seem close.... Sorry for the thread jack guys!

duboman said:
How did you prime?
How much sugar did you use?
At what temp are the bottles sitting?

1 cup of water and the standard 5oz of corn sugar package that comes with the kit. Stirred into the brew in the bottling bucket when sugar water reached room temp. Bottles are sitting at 70-72 degrees.

vesestilldrumming said:
1 cup of water and the standard 5oz of corn sugar package that comes with the kit. Stirred into the brew in the bottling bucket when sugar water reached room temp. Bottles are sitting at 70-72 degrees.

Did you actually have 5 gallons if finished beer or less. Ideally you want .75-1oz of sugar per finished gallon of beer

duboman said:
Did you actually have 5 gallons if finished beer or less. Ideally you want .75-1oz of sugar per finished gallon of beer

I had a little over four gallons. Forgot to top off cuz it was my first brew.

That's an awful lot of crystal malt and a somewhat high FG for an IPA which could account for your perceived sweetness.

This^^. This sounds like a horrible recipe. 2-1/2 lbs of crystal is way too much for 5 gallon, and you said you ended up with 4 gallon?

This^^. This sounds like a horrible recipe. 2-1/2 lbs of crystal is way too much for 5 gallon, and you said you ended up with 4 gallon?

I wasn't going to be so blunt but that is kind of what I thought too. At this point there isn't much you can do. If this is a local shop I would go back and tell them what you didn't like about it and ask for a dryer IPA suggestion. Or there is always online shopping which is a bit more expensive but you can get some great kits. I always liked Northern Brewer's extract kits back in the day but there are plenty of other places out there too.

5 oz sugar that comes in the package

You said it tasted better before the priming sugar, which is weird. Such a small amount of sugar will not add any perceivable flavor. I would just let it age for a few weeks and try it again. I agree with others that there is a lot of Crystal malt in there though.

bknifefight said:
You said it tasted better before the priming sugar, which is weird. Such a small amount of sugar will not add any perceivable flavor. I would just let it age for a few weeks and try it again. I agree with others that there is a lot of Crystal malt in there though.

So ur thinking like 1-1.5 lbs of crystal? What else should be added?

Can u give me a very very hoppy but great tasting recipe that u have used or know will be good? Not a 60 min or 90 min dogfish head clone or anything like that though. Thanks

Can u give me a very very hoppy but great tasting recipe that u have used or know will be good? Not a 60 min or 90 min dogfish head clone or anything like that though. Thanks

Can you give a commercial example of what you do like? That could help people focus their responses better to your preferences.

Knecht_Rupprecht said:
Can you give a commercial example of what you do like? That could help people focus their responses better to your preferences.

Absolutly. Stone Ruination. Unita Hop Notch. Heavy Seas Loose Cannon. Really hoppy too not as hoppy.

bja said:
No more than 1 lb, and drop the carapils.

I wrote the recipe wrong before this is the real recipe. I lost it and now here it is.

image-3240918143.jpg

Back