Clown Shoes Tramp Stamp Clone? (Belgian IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbrewtan

Reaction score
Who has tried this? I got a hold of it in Houston and loved it and would also love to make it myself.

Has anyone cloned this brew? Can anyone offer any guidance?

Thanks!

Here's what I came up with. According to their webpage they use Centennial, Columbus, and Amarillo Hops and sweet orange peel. Using that limited information, I put this recipe together. What do y'all think??

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 50.0 %
8 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 50.0 %
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 13.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 18.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 8.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 10.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 5.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 9.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 9 -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Wyeast 3864

Looks good to me even if its not a clone. Have you tried emailing the brewery? They have a sense of humor so hopefully they are cool.

I emailed them this morning. We'll see what they say and I will provide an update!

I think the challenge will be achieving the hop profile. There's definitely a strong citrus/grapefruit flavor that's emphasized by the orange peel. My plan is to start with two 1-gallon batches that have different hop additions. Might get it going this weekend!

Hello HomeBrewTalk friends,

While I can't give you the exact recipe, to help you on your quest to clone Tramp Stamp here are the ingredients we use to brew it:

Pils malt
Belgian Caravienne malt
Belgian Special aromatic malt
Sweet orange peel
Columbus, Amarillo, Centennial hops
Canadian/Belgian yeast (chambly/unibroue)

Good luck to everyone and if you feel inclined to do so, go ahead and send us some samples!!!

Hello HomeBrewTalk friends,

While I can't give you the exact recipe, to help you on your quest to clone Tramp Stamp here are the ingredients we use to brew it:

Pils malt
Belgian Caravienne malt
Belgian Special aromatic malt
Sweet orange peel
Columbus, Amarillo, Centennial hops
Canadian/Belgian yeast (chambly/unibroue)

Good luck to everyone and if you feel inclined to do so, go ahead and send us some samples!!!

Thanks for posting and welcome!

Thats a great yeast for blegian ipa. Gave me a really nice soft character when I used it in a blegian IPA.

Tramp Stamp is an awesome beer, I had it when Clown Shoes did a tap takeover at one of the brewpubs near me. I think I will give this a shot.

Thanks so much for the info! I'm much more confident in trying this now that I know I'm at least playing with the right ingredients. If it turns out delicious, I'll have to follow up and send samples!

You are welcome. If you ever want to try any other clone recipes feel free to ask. It may take a bit to get the info from the brewer but I'm happy to share whatever he gives me.

Cheers

You are welcome. If you ever want to try any other clone recipes feel free to ask. It may take a bit to get the info from the brewer but I'm happy to share whatever he gives me.

Cheers

Since you brought it up.....my wife is a huge fan of your Clementine. I have tried a few times to clone it, but am clearly missing something. Might the brewer be willing to share the ingredients in that one?

This thread got my Belgian IPA blood flowing so here is what I came up with. I added torrified wheat to bump up the head though not sure it's necessary. Looking for some thoughts................

Recipe: Belgian IPA
Brewer: Commune Brewing Company
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Specialty Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 9.25 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 7.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 58.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.2 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6.25 gal Chicago, IL Water 1 -
13 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 71.9 %
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 3 16.6 %
1 lbs Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.5 %
10.1 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.5 %
7.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 6 2.4 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - First Wo Hop 7 37.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 8.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 6.1 IBUs
0.31 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 3.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 2.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 13 -
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 14 0.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522) [12 Yeast 15 -
1.25 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 16 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 18 lbs 1.1 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 5.65 gal of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.15gal, 4.63gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:

Belgian IPA is a new adventure for me, but that looks like something I would try. Even if it's not close to clown shoes, I'm sure it will be delicious!

danbrewtan said:
Belgian IPA is a new adventure for me, but that looks like something I would try. Even if it's not close to clown shoes, I'm sure it will be delicious!

FwiW, since posting I added a 60 minute hop addition to bump IBus up to 70

BrewFox said:
Did you ever brew this? How did it come out?

Thanks!

I did and it turned out good but needs some tweaks. After tastings I've determined it needs some additional bitterness as its a little off balance. I also need to adjust the fermentation temperature to get a little more funk out of the yeast.

It's also a little darker than what I anticipated so I may tweak the grist a bit.

All in all, very happy with the first go around and it won't last long as we are drinking it up pretty quick!

Sorry to necro this thread but I was looking at cloning this. Has anyone made the changes to address the issue of color and bitterness? Would you mind sharing if you did make any changes?

On a different note: Wyeast private collection - 3864 is now available till March which is the proper yeast for this clone.

Back