Serving pressure basics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have my (first ever) three kegs all hooked up, and they are slow carbonating (I hope that's the correct term) for a few weeks at 12-13 psi (no priming sugar). The fridge temp is 48F for the time being. I've taken samples of the beers every few days and it seems like the carbonation is coming along slowly but nicely.

Is there a chart out there that lists different types of beer and their best serving pressures and temperatures? I have three pressure gauges so they can be set individually, but of course one temperature for the entire fridge. When I google "serving pressure for bohemian pilsner" for instance, I can't get a straight answer.

Or, if you know the preferred settings/have recommendations for the beers that would be great too.

I have a strong scotch ale, a "winter specialty spice ale," and a bohemian pilsner (brewed with Cali lager yeast at warmer temps).

I know people like to play around with these things but I don't know where to begin. Aside from tasting the beer, of course. :)

Thanks!

The easiest and most consistent way is to pick a desired CO2 volume, calculate what pressure that works out to be in your kegerator, then apply that pressure to the keg and leave it there until the keg is kicked. It'll take 1-3 weeks to be fully carbonated, but after that you'll have no worries that it's over/under carbed as you go through the keg.

Back