Ultra fast fermentation all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huxon44

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Quick question, I am only on my third all grain batch after a few months of extract. My question is every all-grain batch I have done, it seems that my fermentation only takes about 2-3 days max and the krausen is super small compared to when I would do extract brews. So far I have brewed two scottish ales, first attempt didn't batch sparge well and had poor efficiency, second batch numbers were better at about 70% efficiency using dry yeast S-05 maybe or 04. Third batch is a belgian wit, 77% efficiency, WLP400 liquid yeast and SG 1.050 and after only two days of good fermenation FG 1.010 but maybe only .5in of krausen. I know that seems good but im not used to such fast fermenation and little krausen. Any thing to worry about or so I just drink another homebrew haha.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Sorry for longer post.

Michael

I always use a starter with liquid...it's good practice and great for the yeast and final product.

What are your mash temperatures?
At what temperature are you fermenting?

If you have the OG you were shooting for and it sounds like your FGs are in the park, then the only question is did you like the final product? The intensity of the fermentation is not a good indicator of the final product. Gravity readings and the final outcome tell the story.

Who knows. Are the extract beers comperable to the all grain batches you did?
To be honest, I use a bucket and don't even think about looking inside for at least a couple weeks so I couldn't tell you what my beer is doing in that short period.
I wait until I can't see signs of fermentation for at least a week before I get curious about what's going on inside.
If you are getting fermentation and like the beer, it's all good.

I noticed a similar trend when I went to all-grain BIAB. Even with big beers (OG 1.09-1.10), I was getting full attenuation in less than a week.

One thing I know I am probably doing different than most is using a multi-step mash with rests at 140-145 and 152-158 for varying lengths depending on the style I am brewing. I have definitely noticed that beers with a longer low-temp rest ferment faster and usually over-shoot my attenuation target (i.e. expected 75% attenuation, got 80%). I always attributed it to the lower concentration of long-chain sugars.

ETA: Oh, and I always do a started thats had at least 24h to get going.

Typically single mash at 151-152* and hold temp extremely well for 75 minutes. Then batch sparge twice at about 175*. I don't have a fermentation chamber but I am typically at a constant 65-70 degrees. Right now more like 65 with the colder weather. I live in AZ so during the summer months its tough to keep it around 70.

wait, you made a totally different wort, and fermented with a totally different yeast, and are chalking up the differences in fermentation to all grain vs extract? barking up the wrong tree.

A couple things I noticed going from Extract to AG:
1) At hot break there is much less 'foam up' when the wort begins to boil with AG.

2) Generally, a reduced lag time. I attribute this to more available nutrients in AG wort, but who knows, maybe I have been treating my yeast better.

3) I need to mash at about 155-156 give or take to get the same FG as extract. Of course grain bill matters too.

These are just generalities and observations based on my system. I don't really do extract anymore any my process/equipment are always improving and I have not experimented with controls, etc. Please, Scientific Method police, don't attack me.

[Edit]: I think Krausen is awesome, but I don't consider it a tell tale for anything or a predictor or quality/taste etc.

wait, you made a totally different wort, and fermented with a totally different yeast, and are chalking up the differences in fermentation to all grain vs extract? barking up the wrong tree.

Pretty much that.

As for starters, it's something you need to start doing. After appropriately controlling fermentation temperature, it's the single best thing you can do for your beer. Use a pitching rate calculator (like mrmalty.com) to figure out how much starter you need and don't forget to use the viability estimator based on the age of your yeast pack.

Latest posts

Back