O G problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillageBrew

Reaction score
I just brewed up a Belgian Wit that was supposed to be 1.053 and mine ended up 1.042. I split up the extract additions in half with the last half being added at flame out. Will the lack of boil time with the late extract addition effect the OG????? The volume is right at 5 gallons and the only deviation from the recipe was that I added half of the suggested coriander amount. (Not to big on that spice) Im not concerned about the alcohol level, just would like to have it turn out the way it is supposed to.

I just brewed up a Belgian Wit that was supposed to be 1.053 and mine ended up 1.042. I split up the extract additions in half with the last half being added at flame out. Will the lack of boil time with the late extract addition effect the OG????? The volume is right at 5 gallons and the only deviation from the recipe was that I added half of the suggested coriander amount. (Not to big on that spice) Im not concerned about the alcohol level, just would like to have it turn out the way it is supposed to.

No. When you add the extract does not matter in determining the gravity.

We see threads like this on a regular basis, and the problem is usually that the person did not adequately stir in the extract at the end of the boil before measuring the gravity.

I have had the same problems. Usually came from the extract not being properly dissolved. Sometimes it was even left at the bottom of the kettle. Give it another few minus of gentle stirring and you should be ok if your calculations were correct in the first place.

Back