Preventing Therminator clogging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phooka

Large Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been slowly working my way towards building an AG setup, and one of my newly acquired fun parts is a Therminator. I have been using pelletized hops up to this point. I have concerns about these, and other junk in my wort that may clog the chiller. I tenatively plan on pumping (already have the March pump) from the keggle to the primary. Do I need to be concerned with clogging the chiller at all? Should there be something inline to catch any big junk flowing through or will a standard false bottom in the keggle be sufficient?

dale

This is a cheaper, DIY option. It's worked great for me. A false bottom isn't fine enough to catch pellet hop particles. This and the hopstopper are.

hop%20filter.jpg

I have a HopStopper, March pump and a Therminator and I can confirm that the HopStopper allows virtually nothing but liquid through and does not clog. At least not yet. If you back flush the chiller with hot water immediately after use, clean and sanitize following the manufacturers instructions, you won't have any problems.

Not to state the obvious, but...whole hops...they are superior to pellet hops in every way, except size, but as homebrewers we needn't concern ourselves with the displacement of hops in the kettle. Lucky us! :)

Pellets have always been a nightmare for me and they don't taste or smell as good in the end product (because they are crushed and mangled instead of left whole...imagine that ;)). And they act as their own filter bed helping to catch break and other floatie materials.

YMMV.

Cheers :D

Back