Need help with a brewery logo.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
So I have been trying to figure out a brewery logo in my free time, I started brewing in Feb of 2009, and shortly after that I wanted to devise a logo for labels, however, I cannot for the life of me come up with a concept I like, or that is simple enough to place on a lbottle label.

I am looking for some suggestions and conceptual ideas that I can run with.

My brewery name is Broken Glass Brewery, and for the life of me I am unable to come up with something cool yet simple...

...here are a couple of concepts that I worked on, but I don't really like, and probably wouldn't look good on a label.

BGB bottle cap.jpeg

bgb_logo_shipping_label.jpg

BGB_shipping_label_avatar.jpg

bgblogoproto_1.jpg

bgblogoproto_2.jpg

Is it broken glass as in a pint glass, shards on the ground or in a window.

I would play with an image of a glass that is already broken and full of beer, and not a breaking glass. The first says"tough" the second says "accident prone".

Is it broken glass as in a pint glass, shards on the ground or in a window.

I would play with an image of a glass that is already broken and full of beer, and not a breaking glass. The first says"tough" the second says "accident prone".

Agreed, but making it into a CGI format has been challenging. That's really where the issue has been, I can take a pint glass fill it with beer break it and take a photo of it, but how does that work on a label?

This is my dilemma.

I think the second from last one could work with a bit of tweaking. Envision it on clear label stock. You print two colors (one the black for the letters, the other white) and leave the spots where the glass is broken as clear.

I think the second from last one could work with a bit of tweaking. Envision it on clear label stock. You print two colors (one the black for the letters, the other white) and leave the spots where the glass is broken as clear.

I didn't even think about clear labels...thats a great idea, thanks for your input!
:mug:

Found this picture on Google images when I searched "Broken Beer Bottle" (say that 5 times fast!)

istockphoto_8505544-broken-beer-bottle-isolated-on-white.jpg

I think its pretty cool.

I have seen those images myself, but once again those are really detailed photos. I don't know how to incorporate those into a logo.

:mug:

You could do something like this. I just threw this together, but make it look like the text is breaking the bottle.

Broken by lukussw, on Flickr

Okay that is pretty damn cool, what program are you using?

I only have Gimp and Inkscape :(

I'll assume illustrator or photoshop...what font is that BTW...

Thanks for that, that is actually really awesome!

Gimp will do pretty much everything you need. It's a little less user friendly than the newer versions of Photoshop. But, if you take the time to figure it out, you don't need to spend the money. Personally, I paid for an older version of Photoshop, and see no reason to upgrade because I already learned how to do things manually, and the newer versions just speed things up a little. On the plus side for you, there's a serious learning curve to both programs. Just take the time to learn how to do it in Gimp and save Adobe's licensing fee.

Not to be a downer, but don't take other people's images without permission. Recipes can't be trademarked, but photographs can be.

I use Photoshop, but like others have said Gimp is great also. I think the font is called Defused then I added some effects to the font though.

here is another idea. not quite as flashy as the other one, But you get the idea. If you were able to make it look like a antique painted sign with broken glass over it that would look really cool.
-Luke

broken2 by lukussw, on Flickr

Gimp will do pretty much everything you need. It's a little less user friendly than the newer versions of Photoshop. But, if you take the time to figure it out, you don't need to spend the money. Personally, I paid for an older version of Photoshop, and see no reason to upgrade because I already learned how to do things manually, and the newer versions just speed things up a little. On the plus side for you, there's a serious learning curve to both programs. Just take the time to learn how to do it in Gimp and save Adobe's licensing fee.

Not to be a downer, but don't take other people's images without permission. Recipes can't be trademarked, but photographs can be.

Trust me, if I was gonna run with someone's design, I would ask them first, butt thanks fro the heads-up.

I use Photoshop, but like others have said Gimp is great also. I think the font is called Defused then I added some effects to the font though.

Yeah it can do some great stuff, but like you said it can be time consuming to learn it...

here is another idea. not quite as flashy as the other one, But you get the idea. If you were able to make it look like a antique painted sign with broken glass over it that would look really cool.
-Luke

broken2 by lukussw, on Flickr

I like it, I think it would look even cooler if it were stained glas, but I dunno how that would look broken with the lead seams...I really appreciate your input, and that furst logo is the balls, so I may try to elaborate on something like that! Hope you don't mind...I'll give credit where credit is due...

brokenglass.jpg

Maybe somthing like this? done quickly in photoshop but you get the idea

I need to get photoshop...or a better imagination!

I like that one alot too!

You guys are super helpful, keep'em coming, PLEASE!

This stuff is super great

BTW, I am probably going to start anotherthread, but who here is going to enter the BYO label contest this year?

Back