Thoughts on this Christmas ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheatmeister

Reaction score
This is my feeble attempt at a Mad Elf clone:

1.5 lb light Munich
.35 lb Crystal 50-60L
.15 Lb Chocolate – steep at 155 for 30
6 lb Briess Gold unhopped Light LME
.75lb light DME (leftover from yeast starter)
Hallertau pellots – 60 mins
4 lbs fresh Michigan cherries, cut in half seeds in – last 15 min of boil
Czeck Saaz pellots – 10 mins
Cinnemon sticks – 2 sticks last 5 min of boil
2lbs clover honey – at flameout
WLP 500 Trappist Ale for high gravity ale’s
Primary 7-10
Secondary - 49 oz Oregon cherry puree, 2 more cinnamon sticks, 1 oz bourbon Vanilla extract

Brewing this tomorrow to give it a few months to condition.

Anyone have any suggestons on the recipe?

my first thought is WELCOME TO HBT!!!

My second is how much hops in each of those additions?

My third is dont boil the fruit for 15 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Save those beautiful cherries for flameout or secondary.

I agree. Put the cherries and spices in during the last 5 minutes. If you leave the spices in for 15 minutes you're going to get astringent flavors.

Good tips, I'll put the cherries in the last 5 of the boil. Should i pull them out after 5 mins or can i let them steep for 15 mins or so while the wort cools? I feel like only 5 mins won't extract that much flavor. I want the Cherry to be potent and up front, not in the background - that's why i want to put fresh ones in the boil and 50 oz in the secondary..

Im using 1 oz Halleurto for 60 -70 mins
.5 oz Czeck Saaz for last 20
.5 oz of Czeck Saaz for the last 5

I wouldn't add the cherries until secondary. You might want to think about making a spice tea in steril water and adding that after you've chilled the wert.

I made a spice tea and bottled it. I add 2 Tablespoons per 22oz bottle of English Brown.

My OG is 1.066. If i do it agin i would eliminate the chocolate grains, looks pretty dark even using 1/2 cup of chocolate.

I'm a little demoralized at the earthy flavor after steeping the fresh cherries for about 10 minutes, probably shoulda just racked everything in the secondary. We'll see how it turns outs in a few months

Back