Vienna APA Smash with Amarillo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
What hop addition times would complement Vienna the most? A 60 minute charge with 15 and 5 minutes or all late addition at 20 until flame out?

I'm thinking 11lb of Vienna (3.5L) and attempting to use 4oz of Amarillo without becoming overly bitter. I'm not a fan of using 2 row as a base, I just don't get enough flavor from it without tons of other additions.

I would simply use 1oz amarillo at 60min, 15min, 5min then dry hop the last oz. That might push around 40-45ibu if you don't consider that too bitter?

I would simply use 1oz amarillo at 60min, 15min, 5min then dry hop the last oz. That might push around 40-45ibu if you don't consider that too bitter?

If you put a hop cone on my head, my tongue will beat the **** out of my brain trying to get to it. :ban: I'm just hoping for some malt flavor that isn't too over powering that I won't taste the hops quality. And I dislike two row.

Why don't you try Marris Otter, Golden Promise or Halycon for a slightly more flavorfull premium base malt? Munich and Vienna are great choices too, but for me, Vienna has a very pronounced bready flavor, not much on the maltiness.

I would try and add all your ammarilo late in the boil to really let the aroma and flavor shine. IBU in the 35-40 is plenty sufficient. The thought of a Golden Promise, Amarillo SMASH makes my mouth water.

I'm inclined to agree with permo, if you want the hops to be the star of the show then you should forego the Vienna, cuz it's gunna be more of a 1-2 punch.

Back