CO2 Tank Inside or Outside the Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewlicious

Reaction score
What are the advantages of having the CO2 tank outside or inside the kegerator? I have a Sanyo 4912 and most seem to put the tank inside but would it be better to put it on the outside of the fridge?

Brewlicious said:
What are the advantages of having the CO2 tank outside or inside the kegerator? I have a Sanyo 4912 and most seem to put the tank inside but would it be better to put it on the outside of the fridge?
I think it really boils down to space for most people. I put mine outside because it let me fit one extra corny. I think the other advantage is you can force carb, clean, other kegs with out opening the fridge or freezer, it also allows you to make adjustments with out opeining the fridge or freezer.

In the end they are all minor things(well unless it allows you to fit an extra keg..thats big for me)

Jay

While asking another member who has a same brand fridge as I do some questions, he said that his regulator setup works a bit better at room temperature. Don't remember the exact wording, but he made it seem that the cold temps inside the fridge make the regulator a little less accurate.

Space and ease of access. I started with the bottle in the fridge, then moved it outside because I had to take all of the kegs out to change the bottle. When I built a new kegger from a chest freezer, I moved it back inside.

MikeInCtown said:
While asking another member who has a same brand fridge as I do some questions, he said that his regulator setup works a bit better at room temperature. Don't remember the exact wording, but he made it seem that the cold temps inside the fridge make the regulator a little less accurate.

Has anyone else heard this or had experience with this type of inaccuracy?

I think the only reason to have it inside is it's a quicker/easier/safer build that way; but less convenient.

The reason I have mine inside is I'm so afraid of poking a hole in a cooling line in my fridge, I need to put it outside soon though so I plan on looking up how to tell where cooling lines are (Full size fridge, freezer on top setup, may not have cooling lines at all in the walls)

conpewter said:
I think the only reason to have it inside is it's a quicker/easier/safer build that way; but less convenient.

The reason I have mine inside is I'm so afraid of poking a hole in a cooling line in my fridge, I need to put it outside soon though so I plan on looking up how to tell where cooling lines are (Full size fridge, freezer on top setup, may not have cooling lines at all in the walls)

How do you tell where cooling lines are at?:confused:

I've looked into that and I'm not sure that way will work with my standard fridge

"The heat from the coolant line would cause the alcohol to evaporate quicker in that area."

So there is heat from a coolant line? Yes I know that "coolant line" refers to what it is carrying. I've looked into it and there is a hot line running across the top of that type of fridge, so that method works. For my standard refrigerator that I want to drill a hole in the side... I'm looking for the spots that are cooler.

I may just take everything out, leave it open, turn it onto it's coldest and see where frost/condensation accumulates.

conpewter said:
I've looked into that and I'm not sure that way will work with my standard fridge

"The heat from the coolant line would cause the alcohol to evaporate quicker in that area."

So there is heat from a coolant line? Yes I know that "coolant line" refers to what it is carrying. I've looked into it and there is a hot line running across the top of that type of fridge, so that method works. For my standard refrigerator that I want to drill a hole in the side... I'm looking for the spots that are cooler.

I may just take everything out, leave it open, turn it onto it's coldest and see where frost/condensation accumulates.

This is my dilema as well.

i have a 4912 also and have my tank outside the fridge. i didnt have to drill any hole just used a little "personal lube" and pulled the line right through the drainhole in the fridge, it worked out great.

Latest posts

Back