help identifying taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_b

Reaction score
A Bock from a locally produced kit (Black Rock, New Zealand) has a funny feel/flavour I'm having trouble identifying...

I could best describe it as a bit like Tonic water, or maybe like Coke from Maccy D's when the post-mix syrup is running a bit low.

It didn't start off like that. After about 2 weeks in bottles, it seemed a bit maltier and fuller than it is now, at 6-8 weeks. It was bottle-stored at about 18-20c (68f), and was fermented (not at good lager temp!!!) at about 22-24c (73f). The FG was high at 1012. I used DME with the kit.

I'm serving it not too cold, half an hour or so in the fridge to chill it a bit.

What do you call that tonic-water taste? Any guesses on what's gone on there?

Thanks!!!

never heard of 'tonic water' off flavor...but then again i've only had tonic water with added Gin ;)

what yeast was used? if it was a lager strain, brewed at ale temps, you'll get a different flavor in the end due to the stress on the yeast. might be phenols you're tasting, or esters, or Extract 'twang' (Yes, I believe in it).

Right, I'll stick a couple in the fridge tonight and drink them the following night and see if it makes a diff. Thanks for that tip.

Of course, I guess if it tastes like tonic water, I could just add gin :D.

Back