Dry Hopped Bud Light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea, totally going to do this. Probably will use Sam Light, just so I can at least keep the empty bottles, when Im done.

Wow, this is seriously amazing! As someone who is new to developing recipes and with the large number of hop varieties out there, this could be invaluable information.

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah this is an awesome idea! I just found a good excuse to pick up some PBR bottles. It'll be like Im back in college again! Hmm maybe I'll get Lionshead instead....

I saw this on reddit. The guy who runs the Bertus blog does a GREAT job... I am proud to link to him. Another top notch post, the tasting notes were excellent.

I want to try this but how do you successfully recap on a twist off bottle?

Im gonna get the cheapest pry off bottles I can find (sam light?) and just use my capper to recap them. I guess you could try using a capper on the twist off bottle, its is doable.

I've (accidentally) capped twist-offs with homebrew (need to not drink so much) and they worked just fine. It really surprised me, but I have no doubt they would work for the few days for this.

This sound like a great idea. My only question is how do you deal with the loose hops in the beer? Do they settle down like yeast does in bottle fermentation?

Yeah, cold crash the bottles overnight or for a few days and the hops should settle out.

just replied to another thread...same topic...

I did this at my last club meeting after hearing the Anchor interview. I did mine a little different. I ordered small, fillable tea bags off Amazon and stuffed the hops into them before stuffing into the beer. That way I was able to use pellets or whole hops and I wasn't pouring hop gunk. I put the bottles into the freezer for 30 minutes prior to uncapping and hopping to try to cut down on the chance of foaming over when dropping the hops in. Also, I ended up using Amstel light...I was worried about trying to re-seal the twist off Bud Light caps. I think BL would have been better (less taste and aroma) as Amstel Light did not pair real well with some of the hops.

It worked out well, but I only gave it ~ 1 week before the meeting. I would leave it at least 2 to make sure you get good hop aroma infused.

One other note, the beer did foam quite a bit when we opened them. and some bottles it was hard to pull the tea bags back out, so we just poured them anyway...the bags did an excellent job of keeping hops stuff out of the beer.

Couldn't you just brew a small batch of a very generic pale ale? Like only use bittering hops and 2-row?

Couldn't you just brew a small batch of a very generic pale ale? Like only use bittering hops and 2-row?

Certainly, but the charm of this particular approach is that it is ridiculously easy and gives you a huge pay off in terms on knowledge gained. It also has the added bonus that you could repeat it in a highly reproducible manner without any extra effort down the road.

I tried this two ways. I used coors light plastic bottles and dropped 3 pellets loose into each bottle. After one week they gushed when opened which mixed the hop bits up into the beer. You could taste the different hops slightly but all had a strong vegetative flavor. The six pack was kept in the fridge the whole time.

The second one i did was brew a mild and dry hop in the bottle loose, with priming sugar. I waited for them to carb then kept them chilled. This worked better and you could differentiate the different hops with no veg flavor. I think they lasted about 2-3 months and no gushers but you had to leave more beer in the bottle to keep it clean.

Latest posts

Back