What pocket knife for brew day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a big knife I use for everything that doesn't require shootin'. I found it in my grandfather's shed after he died. From what I could find online, the blade is from a famous German Company, Gustav Emil Ern. It looks like he made the handle himself.

Well THAT'S pretty bitchin...

My EDC is Opinel #7 - it works for just about everything.
I keep one in a few pairs of jeans that never get washed and one in the car. They fit the hand great, they're clean and neat, sharp, classic simple design, and they wear beautifully ...

corkdetail3-1.jpg

opinel1.jpg

opinel.jpg

Opinels.jpg

opinels.jpg

and they're only 10 bucks

My EDC knife, an old Buck Hunting 110 folder. The handles are chipped and cracked, it's heavy and stout and I have carried it on or near me since it was a birthday present in '67, I was 8yrs old.

Chinese SAMs Club 10 pack for $15 about 6 years ago. Much better than the fancier similar models at HD or Lowes.

image-3945298336.jpg

Just out of curiosity, why would you need 10 of them?

I have a cutter I bought at HD or Lowes, but if it gets dull I just swap out the blade, which costs pennies.

I always have my Leatherman Wave (current model) with me, so that's what I use.

Pro-tip: Leatherman's warranty is great; my old knife started sticking, sent it back and the didn't just clean it, they sent me an entirely new modern version.

I've pretty much had a pocket knife on me since I was maybe six or seven.
I just have whatever knife is in my pocket when I brew.

I do use scissors more than a knife when brewing though.

My hops are in ziplock bags (home grown), so I just use my trusty...fingers. If I buy hops they come in easy to open vacuum sealed bags. But if I just want an excuse to cut stuff, then it's my Buck folding knife.

I always carry a benchmade barrage. It's opened countless amounts of hops and grain.

"The big rules of knife fighting are (A) do not try it at home, and (B) the whole point is never ever use the blade. It is there to distract your opponent. While he stares at the gleaming steel, you kick his balls to kingdom come" ----Keith Richards

Another use of a knife on brewday is taking refractometer readings, cool a few drops on the knife blade and drip on window. You guys have lots of cool knives and some great stories about them. Chef knives count too, if it's anything special tell us what it is?

Brewskii said:
My brew is on the express train to flava-town!

It's a 8" Knuckle Sandwich ala Guy Fieri -I have the 5" santoku as well. They are awesome chefs knives but I don't really use them much for brew day to be honest.

I almost always have this...

514313-lg.jpg

in my pocket. I have a tendency to lose and or abuse knives, so this works great.

Usually an Emerson Mach 1 since it is my EDC. Or, a small Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn folder engraved from my deployment to Iraq

Back