Everwood Avenue Brewery Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishdisease

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Well, after careful consideration and an irrational need to always to building and improving my system, I've decided to go electric. But first...

I've been brewing for about 12 years, seriously for about 3 and AG for the last 2. About 6 months ago I moved from stove-top 5 gallon to a 10 gallon BK / cooler MTL. One thing lead to another and here I am, upgrading my system to a Brutus 10e style system. I've almost acquired everything I need, I've got everything for the mechanical side of the build, just waiting on a few electrical details.

I'm going to do a Kal inspired control box, as most of the ones I've seen are, and a 2X 4500W single tier, 3 vessel system. I will eventually move into a HERMS system, but if I want to be brewing on this new electric system by Xmas (my goal), I'll need to build in stages (due to the lack of available financing from SWMBO). So for now, I'm simply going to insulate my MLT keg with Roxul for heat retention and see how it goes. I've always got my cooler MLT to fall back on if the insulation is not sufficient. I've got 2 50L Euro Sankes for my HLT and MLT and a 58L Sanke for my BK. I'll be cutting the bottoms and using tri-clover fittings for the drains.

So, last night I decided to go ahead and start the control panel (mostly figuring out design). I'm still working on the wiring diagram and I very much open to suggestions, but I'm not in a rush or completely set on the design (until I cut the holes in the control panel!).

Here's what I have to start with:

ControlPanelBuild1.jpg

And here's the layout for the control panel:

ControlPanelBuild2.jpg

So I'd appreciate any thoughts, comments, and pointers moving forward. I've learned a lot from spending far too much time reading this forum, but I'm no expert. Thanks

From what I can see in your pictures, you look like you've got most (if not all) the required parts. I'm sourcing the last few parts of my build and then it's off to the races. I'll post a build thread as well. Keep us up to date on your progress!
-Kevin

I like it so much that that I would like a parts list for your panel

Thanks, I sourced most of it from eBay, Auber Instruments or Automation Direct. I was planning on posting the parts list after I get the wiring dealt with.

And that brings me to....the wiring diagram!

I have a new respect for P-J and all of you who do you own diagrams, this thing took way longer then I expected, not an unreasonable amount of time, but more then an hour (or 3!).

Please have a look at this and make any comments. It's pretty standard wiring, I went with a SSR/Contactor combo for the elements and illuminated toggle switches for the alarms and pumps.

One question - when I do the wattage calculation for the resistor for the e-stop, I get 7.2W of heat dissipated, yet everyone uses 2 x 1W resistors. What am I missing?

Critique Away!

EverwoodAveElectricSchematic.jpg

Why do you have the float switch before the contactor? You'll have to run a line all the way from the panel to the kettle, then all the way back to the panel for the contactor, then all the way back again for the switch. If the float switch can handle the full amperage (and this may be why you did it your way) that is pulled by the coils, have the float switch be wired as part of your element and not part of your contactor...

-Kevin

Why do you have the float switch before the contactor? You'll have to run a line all the way from the panel to the kettle, then all the way back to the panel for the contactor, then all the way back again for the switch. If the float switch can handle the full amperage (and this may be why you did it your way) that is pulled by the coils, have the float switch be wired as part of your element and not part of your contactor...

-Kevin

Good point. However you are correct and the amperage rating is not sufficient to be put inline with the element, the max is 1.5A. I also picked up some panel-mount 2-pin connectors for the float switches so once installed it'll be fairly easy. I am making my stand from uni-strut so I'll be running all the wiring through the stand itself, so I'm not too concerned by the extra cables.

Well then... in that case, I find no obvious issue with your design! I wonder if there'd be a way around it, like mounting your contactor to the kettle and running a short jumper from one of the hots through the float switch and back to the coil on the contactor. You'd have to put it in a 2 or 4 gang junction box and find a palce to mount it, so you're adding extra equipment vs. extra wiring...

Keep it up!
-Kevin

I like it so much that that I would like a parts list for your panel

Ask and ye shall receive. Here's the parts list for the panel only. I'll post a similar parts list when it comes to the vessels and stand when we get to that point in the build. I did get a couple of great deals and some freebies, but I'm happy with all of the components I've received thus far.

ControlPanelParts.jpg

So after a week or two or delay (I built a keezer) I continued work on the panel over the past couple of days.

Cutting out the holes, I had concerns about using a dremel instead of paying for the water-jet cut, but I have to be honest, it was easy and I don't really get why anyone would pay to have their panel cut when you can easily do it yourself. But to each their own.
ControlPanelBuild4.jpg

After a quick paint and installation of the parts I'm ready to start wiring tonight. I didn't dust the outside before taking this picture, but trust me, it's shiny!
ControlPanelBuild5.jpg

I've got a fair bit of space inside so I'm hoping wiring goes well and I can tidy it up nicely.
ControlPanelBuild6.jpg

Latest posts

Back