Specialty grains..........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angemus

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to all grain brewing and my question is when I am mashing my grains when do i add my specialty grains? Are they added during the actual mashing process or do I steep it while cooking the wort? Plz help me out with this........

All the grains get crushed & mixed together to be mashed at the same time.
Sounds like you got some more reading to do.

unionrdr said:
All the grains get crushed & mixed together to be mashed at the same time.
Sounds like you got some more reading to do.

Like I said still new to this and trying to gather all the research I can no place better than other with experience. Thank you!

Another thing to think about when adding the Dark specialty grains is to crush them separately and add them at vorlauff. This will help to keep the PH from dropping down too low (if you're using really soft water such as RO or Distilled water) and it also keeps it from getting the harsh flavors that some dark grains can add. There is no need to mash the specialty grains because all of their sugar has been converted already and you're really only soaking them at this point, but for convenience, most people just add them to the rest of the grains and continue on.

Back