First IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickJ0nes

Reaction score
Hello, I'm still on the kits but want to get more creative. I've done a Oktoberfest, Tripel, and RIS so far. I ordered a IPA kit from brewers best as well as 1oz. of EKG and 1oz. of Citra leaf. I planned on doing the kit to speck only adding the EKG for the final 10min. of boil and adding the Citra for the last 7 days of secondary before bottling. Does this sound like it should work out?

MickJ0nes said:
Hello, I'm still on the kits but want to get more creative. I've done a Oktoberfest, Tripel, and RIS so far. I ordered a IPA kit from brewers best as well as 1oz. of EKG and 1oz. of Citra leaf. I planned on doing the kit to speck only adding the EKG for the final 10min. of boil and adding the Citra for the last 7 days of secondary before bottling. Does this sound like it should work out?

Yup your gonna be just fine. Sounds good. A touch more bitter but nothing to worry too much about.

Yup your gonna be just fine. Sounds good. A touch more bitter but nothing to worry too much about.

Thanks... I also have 1oz. of hallertau leaf. Should I utlize that in some way or will that be too much? If so when and where? I'm not sure how they will work together.

MickJ0nes said:
Thanks... I also have 1oz. of hallertau leaf. Should I utlize that in some way or will that be too much? If so when and where? I'm not sure how they will work together.

Not sure how it will work with all those american hops but as a hop head i will always say to use them in the last 20 to 10 mins of the boil or as a dry hop. Whats your hop schedule look like?

Whats the recipe?? Depending on the FG, you may want to up the hops, esp bittering. I've only done IIPA's, so those look kinda light. 5 Gallon?

Also curious if this is a 5 gallon or 3 gallon batch. And does the kit come with dry hops already. That ounce of whole leaf Citra in 5 gallons will be surprisingly aromatic.

That being said, in my IPA recipe, I include US Tett which is similar hallertauer at 10mins in the boil to add some of that peppery, spicy aroma. It balances really well with fruitier aromas of Citra or Centennial. Sometimes using straight Citra will get too much mango, clementine sort of aromatics that seem almost Belgian. Chinook is a good one to balance that with as well.

Not sure how it will work with all those american hops but as a hop head i will always say to use them in the last 20 to 10 mins of the boil or as a dry hop. Whats your hop schedule look like?

It's 5 gallon kit...

2oz. Columbus Bittering
Boil 40 min.
1oz. Columbus Flavoring
Boil 15 min.
1oz. Columbus Aroma
Boil 5 min.
Terminate

Also curious if this is a 5 gallon or 3 gallon batch. And does the kit come with dry hops already. That ounce of whole leaf Citra in 5 gallons will be surprisingly aromatic.

That being said, in my IPA recipe, I include US Tett which is similar hallertauer at 10mins in the boil to add some of that peppery, spicy aroma. It balances really well with fruitier aromas of Citra or Centennial. Sometimes using straight Citra will get too much mango, clementine sort of aromatics that seem almost Belgian. Chinook is a good one to balance that with as well.

Thanks, I was not sure about the hallertauer. Sounds like it will pair well. I know I want to dry hop with the citra. Where in this kit schedule would you recommend adding 1oz. EKG and 1oz. Hallertauer?

you would get better hop utilization if you added less columbus at 60 instead of 2oz at 40. Is that what your directions said to do?

you would get better hop utilization if you added less columbus at 60 instead of 2oz at 40. Is that what your directions said to do?

Yep, Thats the schedule for the kit. BB Imperial Pale Ale. Just shooting from the hip with the extra leaf.

MickJ0nes said:
Yep, Thats the schedule for the kit. BB Imperial Pale Ale. Just shooting from the hip with the extra leaf.

Citra is my fav hop. You'll love it.

i'd recommend tossing in the hallertauer at 10mins, dry hopping with some of the provided columbus and 1oz of citra. It will be a fantastic beer.

Sampled one today after only 7 days in the bottle it turned out amazing. Mango nose with a bitter start and spicy crisp finish. I compare it to Fat Heads - Head Hunter less grapefruit more mango. 9.2 abv Next time it's going in a barrel.

Back