Bottling Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulleram

Reaction score
Hello,

I started fermenting my first beer a week ago yesterday. It's an English bitter. I checked on it yesterday and it smells and tastes like mediocre beer. Should I leave it in the fermenter for another week or two before I bottle it, or just go ahead and bottle it now and let it mature in the bottle.

Unfortunately I'm at work, and I forgot what my FG was.

Thanks!

Leave it and bottle it when it's ready!

I have had plenty that smelled and tasted weird in the fermenter, but came out great after a few weeks of bottle conditioning. If they're still bad after a couple months in the bottle then maybe dump them.

You want to let beers ferment for at least 2-3 weeks. Most go 3 weeks. Centennial Blonde (BierMuncher's) goes for 8 days, but longer doesn't hurt it.

Let it go. Beers all seem to taste grainy and a bit weird during fermentation and shortly thereafter. Chances are, yours is in this window. Wait it out and bottle it 3 weeks from the day you brewed it.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll be letting this sir fir another 2 weeks and checking on it then.

If it was only brewed 8 days ago, I'm not surprised that it tastes mediocre. It should taste much better after a few weeks conditioning and carbonating.
I'd leave it at least one more week, and preferably two before bottling. Your taste buds will thank you.

-a.

I will echo the resonses you got already. Let it sit for at least another week or two. Then bottle and let sit for another 3 weeks.

The hardest part about brewing, especially for beginners, is learning the art of patience. Learn that and you will be rewarded with good brews.

Back