How long before beer goes flat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronc5150

Reaction score
Hello all. If I put some of my home brew from my corny keg into a growler and keep it on ice, how long will it take for the beer to go flat? We want to take some beer camping and dont want to have to take the keg/c02 tank and all that stuff.

Thank you!
Aaron

Do you have plastic or metal caps for your growler?

Once you open it you begin to lose carbonation. After about 48 hours from first opening it, my beer is usually completely flat. If you can't drink a 64oz growler in 48 hours, though, that's likely a problem in itself. If you leave it sealed and then kill it all at once, I'd imagine you can get 4 or 5 days max before you'd need to go ahead and consume it.

i'd agree with consuming within 48 hours.. maybe less depending on the amount of carbonation.. i only have experience with take home growlers from brewpubs, but we've not opened one for 3 days and it was fine

It is a metal cap. So as long as I seal it right after I pour it into the growler, it should stay good for at least a day probably? We will probably drink it the same night. Thanks.

It is a metal cap. So as long as I seal it right after I pour it into the growler, it should stay good for at least a day probably? We will probably drink it the same night. Thanks.

Same night? Sounds great to me.

Back