Thoughts on this Cider???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
Tell me how this sounds:

5 gallons of apple juice (Apple Orchard frozen concentrate 100% juice no preserves )
5 cans of pears in heavy juice ( blended till a thick liquid )
2 lbs of light brown sugar
1 lb of honey
2 lemons zested
English Cider Yeast [SIZE=-1](WLP775)
[/SIZE]

I took the brown sugar and honey and boiled it in about 1.5 gallons of water. Dumped the concentrated juice in the primary along with the blended up pears and then zested the 2 lemons. Once the honey and brown sugar were dissolved, dumped that into the primary. Then added another 4 gallons of water and pitched my yeast. This morning it is just a bubbling away!!!

GABrewboy said:
Tell me how this sounds:

5 gallons of apple juice (Apple Orchard frozen concentrate 100% juice no preserves )
5 cans of pears in heavy juice ( blended till a thick liquid )
2 lbs of light brown sugar
1 lb of honey
2 lemons zested
English Cider Yeast [SIZE=-1](WLP775)
[/SIZE]

I took the brown sugar and honey and boiled it in about 1.5 gallons of water. Dumped the concentrated juice in the primary along with the blended up pears and then zested the 2 lemons. Once the honey and brown sugar were dissolved, dumped that into the primary. Then added another 4 gallons of water and pitched my yeast. This morning it is just a bubbling away!!!

the 2 pounds of brown sugar will definately excentuate the cider taste. Next time i would cut back a half a pound, although the citrus oils from the lemons might balance it out. Other than that it sounds like a good recipe, tell me how it turns out.

Well that is what I was kind of thinking of the lemon zest/rind......so we will see what happens.....I figure I will take a taste test once it get's done fermentation and if it is too sweet I will pitch some champagne yeast to dry it out a little bit.

GABrewboy said:
Well that is what I was kind of thinking of the lemon zest/rind......so we will see what happens.....I figure I will take a taste test once it get's done fermentation and if it is too sweet I will pitch some champagne yeast to dry it out a little bit.

I use orange zest in my 7.2% alcohol amber ale, and the oils from the citrus hide the alcohol making it the easiest drinking ale ive ever made. Alcohol sneaks up on you though. cant go wrong with any kind of citrus zest. tell me how it turns out.

Plan on a long ferment with all that extra sugar.

I've got a batch of spiced cider (just juice and spices) running. I'll rack most of it to a secondary today and then add two pounds of brown sugar to the last two gallons and let it burp.

Back