Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, thanks for the interest.

The length of baking is more to get it to thin out and mix easily.

But if the pumpkin darkens on top or sizzles along the sides of the container in the oven, you'll get caramelization.

Alright. I look forward to giving it a shot.

How much harm would you think it'd do to throw in a few (2-4) extra pounds of base malt? I've got some I have to get rid of and fast.

Meh couldn't hurt. You'll just end up with a stronger beer.... and maaaybe it'll cover up the spice a bit more.

Thanks for the interest! Yeah, end of summer is a good time to start this one.

Well, I finally had a chance to get this dropped in and naturally (my luck) is if it could go wrong it did.

Started my mash at 157 and was about to grab an ice to throw in and drop that last degree and que hell..... So I threw the lid and a blanket on and off we went.

I finally get back after my 16 hr mash. With the extra 2lbs of pale and apparent efficiency (temp was still above 140) I've pretty much hit my beersmith targets. Drain off expecting to only need a couple gallons at best and low and behold my full boil kettle is punctured.....

So now I'm boiling in a 25qt and 20qt (bulk in the larger). I FWH'd the 25 (5.25~g) with half my starting charge figuring the small increase in ibu from that will make up for the slight disadvantage in boil size and since I have a second kettle running 2g or so and me figuring on very fermentable wort I threw in ~ 8-10oz of unspiced pumpkin puree I had handy to add a little body back and make up for the necessary dilution. I figure since I'm so far off the beaten path I might as well go all in.

Wish me luck.... :-(

Meh, doing a split boil isn't the end of the world. That's what I did for my first few AG years before getting a propane burner.

But just out curiosity, why a 16hr mash?

Regardless, good luck! I'm sure it'll be beer :D

Baby was a little sick already got a whole lot sicker.

Not really anti-split boil but the second burner isn't strong enough to boil them equally so had to improvise. A couple boil-overs later.....

Ended up at 1.070sg. The pumpkin finishes out the taste with only a slight hint of the spice (hopefully that's not the result of the slightly old spice). Hopefully that shines through in the finished product as well.

If a batch as botched as mine turned out so pleasant, I can only imagine that a proper one would be that much better.

I'm getting ready to try my hand at something like this...

GRAIN
(60min - Mash 160°F | 90min - Boil)
10 lb 0 oz Maris Otter
02 lb 0 oz Special B
01 lb 0 oz Maple Syrup (Grade C)
01 lb 0 oz Dark Muscovado Sugar

ADJUNCT 1
(60min - Baked @ 350°F | 60min - Boil)
04.00 lb 12.8 oz Pumpkin (2 large cans)
1/4 cup Molasses

ADJUNCT 2
(Secondary)
3.0 oz Oak Cubes soaked in light rum & maple syrup

HOPS
1.0 oz 60 min Northern Brewer
1.0 oz 60 min East Kent Goldings
1.0 oz 15 min Fuggles
1.0 oz 2 min East Kent Golding
0.5 oz Dry Hop Fuggles
0.5 oz Dry Hop East Kent Goldings

YEAST
Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes

While I'm thinking about it, if you need it to thin out and mix easily, boiling water melted away the ~10oz addition I did in seconds. I suppose that would only be useful if you didn't like the carmelized flavor though.

Getting an early start on my Halloween brew with Reno's recipe! Basically following Reno's recipe with the exception of adding a half pound of flaked oats and bringing the mash temp up to 158. Completely forgot to pick up rice hulls today and my LHBS is closed tomorrow so I will bake the pumpkin and then transfer it all into my grain bag and let it steep in my strike water as it heats up. I'll toss the grain bag/pumpkin into the mash as well. Very excited to see how how this beer turns out after aging in the bottles until 10/31....if I can wait that long.

I hope a lot of folks find this thread and read up...so much good information on here.

Yep. Brewing my slightly alterred recipe of this next weekend. Ten gallons of Halloween bliss. Ageing this hoochy brew is key.

Mmm 158° might make for a gloriously full-bodied brew!

Try baking the pumpkin for two hours first to reduce viscocity.

Just finished baking the $hit out of the pumpkin...nearly two hours at 350 and stirred it up two or three times. I usually lose a degree or two on my system so shooting for 158 usually puts me at 156 when I am finished. I'm thinking SWMBO is really going to like this brew and result in an expedited acquisition of a large chest freezer for future brewing projects.

I hope the grain bag steep-and-mash does the trick with the pumpkin since I am sans-rice hulls this morning and desperately trying not to be on the receiving end of a stuck sparge.

I'd say if you baked the living hell out of the pumpkin and are thinning it out further by steeping in the strike water that you'll be just fine.

But if it gets stuck you can just stop the lautering, scrape the gunk off your manifold, and vorlauf again.

The grain bag will definitely work. I've done it 3 times without any problem and even if I had rice hulls I'd do it with the bag. I mashed at 158 too and it was perfectly chewy and rich. Good luck!!

I think I just found my pumpkin ale recipe for this year. It looks exactly like what I was going for. Anyone have a recipe for pumpkin pie spice? I was thinking about going out and getting fresh ingredients. I can reuse what I don't use in my Christmas brew as they'll be using a lot of the same ingredients.

3 tsp Cinnamon
2 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Nutmeg
1.5 tsp Allspice
1.5 tsp Cloves
1 tsp Cardamom

The cardamom is my secret ingredient. Adds a nice little floral/citrus undertone. Everything should be freshly ground for the best flavor except the ginger because you'd have to use fresh ginger to go that route. You could use like a tbls of fresh ginger instead of you wanted.

Hmm... yeah cardamom could add something quite nice to the brew

Thanks for providing that breakdown.

Getting out of the hospital with my new boys sometime today and I'll be brewing this years version and my Oktoberfest ale sometime this week! I love when fall starts to roll around

Brewed on Sunday and just missed my target temp by 1-2 degrees but that's expected on my system. Did a very poor job on the transfer and ended up with a crap-ton of turb in the fermenter. This will require some extra steps to clear out but no worries. I pitched the slurry of a 1.5L starter and had noticeable activity after 4 hours...the next day the fermenter was jumping. Can't wait!!!

AWESOME! :rockin:

A short secondary after 4-6 weeks in primary will probably do wonders and be all you need. Gelatin might help a lot as well if you're into doing that.

About to be done with the brew day! Looks and smells amazing!

image-320629042.jpg

image-2361357411.jpg

image-1650526293.jpg

Ooo very nice. That color is fantastic! I hope it turns out excellent!

Thanks! Second time using whirlfloc and it was the clearest wort I've ever had. Color was beautiful going into the fermenter! Looking forward to opening this one on thanksgiving...if I can wait that long!

Great! Are you wanting it ready for Halloween or Thanksgiving?

(Also, I need to get a paycheck soon! Having my subscription lapse and my avatar gone is saaaad... plus I want to support HBT ^_^)

Yeah, I'm hoping to have it ready to drink in late Sept/early Oct. I'm brewing 10 gallons though so I am going to age 5 gallons until Thanksgiving.

Just ordered the grain for this one, found my cans of libby's, got my spices -- Should be all set to brew this next week for my first BIAB. Thanks Reno -- This looks great! :mug:

I can't wait to make this again! I have four cans of Libby's waiting. I would love to try a barrel aged version of this.

I can't wait to make this again! I have four cans of Libby's waiting. I would love to try a barrel aged version of this.

Would that barrel ever be able to be used for anything again with the pumpkin pie spice? I don't know I've never used a barrel.

I imagine a soak of some kind would clear it. Plus the flavors from the spice are volatile and wouldn't last long exposed like that after it was empty.

I just did a search and didn't see anything...has anyone tried some brown sugar in this?

ETA: DOH!!!!! It has it. Awesome!!!! I ignored the first post and it wasn't talked about much after. :)

I just did a search and didn't see anything...has anyone tried some brown sugar in this?

ETA: DOH!!!!! It has it. Awesome!!!! I ignored the first post and it wasn't talked about much after. :)

Apparently this ding dong question was so bad it crashed HBT for a few minutes. I won't let it happen again. :drunk:

Latest posts

Back