Best Filtration Before Plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewneely

Reaction score
Anyone have any good DYI ideas / recommendations for filtering hops and hot break matter prior to running through a plate chiller? Curious as to what others do, successes and/or failures

My nylon mesh paint strainer bag / hop spider has been working out pretty well with both pellet and of course whole-leaf hops.

Whole hops and a false bottom in my boil kettle. Works great.

Do you ever get scorching under the false bottom? I'm looking to do this as well, but my roommate scorched the CRAP out of his doing this. Like 2" of charcoal in the BK. However he's using a keggle which has a very thin bottom vs my triple layered kettle bottom.

Nope, and I'm using a keggle too. I don't see how you could get scorching unless you forget to kill the flame before draining and burn it once almost empty. Otherwise the volume of liquid should keep temps consistent enough. Maybe he's got one hell of a burner.

I have large tea/herbs ball at the end of dip tube, tried spider but didn't like it

If I recall, my roommate oversparged a bit and overshot his boil volume. He ran a very vigorous boil with the false bottom in there in an attempt to boil off more than normal. When he was done, it was difficult to pry the false bottom out of all the "charcoal" that formed and took a HELL of a lot of scrubbing to get it all clean. I kiiiinda want to avoid that. I'm thinking it shouldn't be an issue with the triple layered bottom to the kettle.

Back