Would this work: single jug for ferment+bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjcampbell

Reaction score
Hi there,

I want to do a few 1 gallon batches and wanted to know if fermenting and then just pitching DME to bottle in the same growler would work without removing yeast sediment?

Would the yeast negatively affect the flavor or would there be so much residual yeast that it would over-carb?

Thanks.

The excess yeast and trub wouldn't over-carbonate the beer, but letting the brew sit on all that junk for an extended period to carbonate could likely lead to off flavors from yeast autolysis. It would also take some talent to pour a glass without getting a nice slug of yeast in it.

The amount of yeast does not affect carbonation. It matters how much priming solution you add before carbonation. I definitely recommend racking into a separate container before carbonating, all that Trub will likely lead to some off flavors, and as said before, good luck serving your beer.

Thanks... no sense in going through all that work and having it taste bad. I'll rack it. :)

Back