How many pounds of hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramerica

Reaction score
Much like the how many gallons thread but for hops?
I harvested one lb. of cascade and one and a half lb of nugget for the fall of 2011.
For a total of 2.5 lbs.

I can list dry ounces of this years yield:

Hallertau ZERO (The nobles don't grow for me)
Golding ZERO
Tettnang ZERO
Glacier 3.5
Horizon ZERO
Cascade 22 (two plants)
Fuggle and Willamette (mixed) .5
Centennial 5.5
Pride of Ringwood 5.5
Newport 10.75
Nugget 16
Magnum 5.25
Zeus 1.5 I moved this plant- last year I got 8-10 ounces. The moved hurt my totals.
Mt Hood 4
Sterling 1.75
Chinook 16.5

I have more than I know what to do with, which is a great place to be. :)

I can list dry ounces of this years yield:

Hallertau ZERO (The nobles don't grow for me)
Golding ZERO
Tettnang ZERO
Glacier 3.5
Horizon ZERO
Cascade 22 (two plants)
Fuggle and Willamette (mixed) .5
Centennial 5.5
Pride of Ringwood 5.5
Newport 10.75
Nugget 16
Magnum 5.25
Zeus 1.5 I moved this plant- last year I got 8-10 ounces. The moved hurt my totals.
Mt Hood 4
Sterling 1.75
Chinook 16.5

I have more than I know what to do with, which is a great place to be. :)

I have zero grown hops, but wanted to help out...

Psst...you're supposed to add them to the running total lol.

Your total is 92.75 ounces...or 5.796 lb's.

15.5 + 5.80 = 21.3 lb's :mug:

I'm really glad to help out the team. I must've at least gotten .05 lbs total from my first year cascade and willaimettes. (about 1 oz dried)

21.3 + 0.05 = 23.35 lbs

Now everyone gets to type an extra .05, ha

First year dry yields:

Centennial: 4.5 oz
Chinook: 7.5 oz
Cascade: 7.5 oz
Fuggles: 0.25 oz

Total: 1.234375 lbs

So, running total for this thread: 24.584375 pounds

Cheers! ;)

First year dry yields:

Centennial: 4.5 oz
Chinook: 7.5 oz
Cascade: 7.5 oz
Fuggles: 0.25 oz

Total: 1.234375 lbs

So, running total for this thread: 24.584375 pounds

Cheers! ;)

really? what u use for a scale? or u just adding #'s to be a feirce guy to make us all add more numbers into the equation? if the last is true:cross:glad i got mine in early.

really? what u use for a scale? or u just adding #'s to be a feirce guy to make us all add more numbers into the equation? if the last is true:cross:glad i got mine in early.

Digital scale.

But that's not where all those .decimals came from - that's just math.

19.75/16. Duh.

Cheers! ;)

lol i understood that it was just math. but hey round up for us poor drunk guys.

Well it was just a cut 'n' paste from WinCalc thing.
But you can think of it as a "posting competency test" ;)

Nah...Next in line should feel free to round it off in either direction...

Cheers!

Hey Retro -"Hallertau ZERO (The nobles don't grow for me)"
What is your soil type (at a depth of at least 1 foot) and any idea of where your soil pH is? All your german type hops and hybrids are lacking something - I know they are cranky about heavy wet soils. If your pH is below 6.5, I would try incorporating some dolomitic lime and using a calcium based fertilizer on them. Are they setting good crown buds?
To the others- has anyone hit numbers like 2# for high alphas (Chinook,Nugget,CTZ) 1.5# for Aromas , or 1# for goldings and saaz?

I live on a hop farm, so that would probably skew the data a bit. Having said that, I didn't pick them myself. I just had to go into the cooling barn and scoop them up from the "waste" areas.
So not for the running total, just for laughs:
Newport: 6 pounds
Millenium: 5 pounds
Crystal: 7 pounds

And from the farm: 175,000 pounds. Unfortunately, those are spoken for.

Clarno- please give us an average yield per acre, per variety, and how many plants per acre. It is not about how big you are, but about who has the best yields per variety . . .
If I could hazard a guess - About 100 -120 acres? About 1500-1600#/ acre? Divide by 1200 plants per acre = 1.3# yield per plant average?

Jagdad, you're pretty much right on. Normal yield would be about 1#/string, but this year was a little better. 1500 strings per acre gives us 8 or 9 200# bales/acre. Roughly 120 acres. So yeah, you nailed it. There are 10 varieties, 6 aroma and 4 bittering. I just live here and do other things, so the hops aren't mine. But as I said, I was able to glean some "waste" hops from the process, enough to keep me brewing through the winter. I don't have the breakdown on actual pounds/variety, but I suppose I could find out.

Clarno- please give us an average yield per acre, per variety, and how many plants per acre. It is not about how big you are, but about who has the best yields per variety . . .
If I could hazard a guess - About 100 -120 acres? About 1500-1600#/ acre? Divide by 1200 plants per acre = 1.3# yield per plant average?

2.5lbs of cascade

51+2.5=53.5lbs. I'm counting the ones ClarnoBrewer scrounged.

I'm suprised to learn a pro on average grows 1.3 # per string. I have hops that give me 5 lbs per plant. I have plants that give me zero, but I thought the average would be higher.

I'm suprised to learn a pro on average grows 1.3 # per string. I have hops that give me 5 lbs per plant. I have plants that give me zero, but I thought the average would be higher.

It's not quite that simple. 1 string doesn't necessarily equal 1 plant. There is a huge tangle of rhizomes. Once the strings are up, the strongest 2 or 3 bines at that string are selected and trained up the string. In a home setting, it's easier to train more bines, let them spread more, and get more output. In a hopyard, it's more a factor of yield per acre, rather than hoping for maximum output per plant.

Intersting thread. I have never weighed my green hops and just measured by volume----5 gallon bucket loads.

Dried weight:
Cascade 36 oz
Centennial 28 oz
Chinook 26 oz
Fuggle 12 oz
Goldening 12 oz
Mt. Hood 15 oz
Nugget 12 oz
Williamett 18 oz

Plus my local brew club members carried away 3 or 4 buckets more.

All dried:

First year Columbus: .5 oz
Nugget: 16 oz
Cascade: 6 oz alot burnt out because of the summer heat, probably should have picked earlier
First year Centennial: 0 oz
Chinook: dead

Back