Imperial IPA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anastasis

Reaction score
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Imperial IPA
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.54 gal
Estimated OG: 1.084 SG
Estimated Color: 6.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 115.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
17.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 87.2 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
1.00 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.1 %

1.00 oz Centennial [10.00%] (First Wort Hops) 8.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (First Wort Hop) 4.0 IBU

2.00 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 58.7 IBU

1.00 oz Centennial [10.00%] (30 min) Hops 17.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (30 min) Hops 8.9 IBU

1.00 oz Centennial [10.00%] (15 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 5.7 IBU

1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 18.50 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 23.13 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F 75 min
Mash Out Add 14.80 qt of water at 200.2 F 168.0 F 10 min

6.5 gallon batch. Got 1# magnum, centennial and cascades. My first shot to incorporate FWH. Based on some of the other threads here I put my FWH utilization at -65%. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. I am shooting for lots of grapefruit and citrus, spicy and floral, but I really don't know what the heck I am doing here. Is this going to be a disaster? Any tweaking necessary to the grains? Add a # of carapils? Cut one of the dry hop additions?

The recipe looks pretty decent. I think with your anticipated OG you want to go with 2 packs of yeast to make sure you get good attenuation.

don't tweak the grains. and the more dry hop additions the better. IMO, you shouldn't change a thing. Except you might want to use 2 pkgs of yeast. I feel that it may not finish low enough to really dry it out. I know the table sugar will dry it out and I suppose if you areate enough you can get it down low. I think it is a fine recipe.

Too late

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was going to run a starter to step up the pitching rate but pitchign 2 packs might be easier.

Recipe looks good to me, but just out of curiousity is that a typo or did beersmith somehow calculate FWH getting less IBUs than a 60min add? Are you planning on removing those before the boil?

Recipe looks good to me, but just out of curiousity is that a typo or did beersmith somehow calculate FWH getting less IBUs than a 60min add? Are you planning on removing those before the boil?

I read a number of different opinions on the hop utilizatino for FWH. Anywhere from +10 to -65%. I chose to go with -65% based on teh balance of what I read here. I am open to modifying that, but figured that that was an ok place to start.

oh ok that makes sense. If I understand it correctly, it gives +10% utilization, but because its a less harsh bitterness, it's perceived as -65% utilization or approximately a 20min add. Honestly, I have no idea which number to use when calculating for balance, but when I check my math in beersmith I think it gives +10% so thats what I usually use.

Back