Light bulb light and fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well this is a stupid question but do light bulbs put off uv light

not unless you get the ones that make white look like it's glowing

uv-neon-lights.jpg

I keep the fluorescents off near my fermenters. I don't worry about incandescents.

Compact fluorescents put out a small amount of UV (same as what was said above), but it wouldn't be enough to effect fermentation unless you had it the bulb pointed right at it for hours everyday (like, say, in a display cooler in your liquor store). Just having it in a room and turning the light on while you're in there won't do a thing. Toss a towel over it (as was said above) if it reassures you, though.

That's it. I'm going to invent the Carboy Snuggie. No more worries about any light hitting your fementing beer. :D

Someone did a study on ambient room lighting (fluorescent and incandescent) and found that fluorescent room lighting really wasn't enough to worry about, given that (among other things) the very small amount of UV from fluorescents only comes into contact with whatever beer is against the walls of the carboy at any given time.

But I figure, what the heck, it's not a big bother to protect from even that small amount, so I do it.

Back