Honey Pale Ale Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jprasad82

Reaction score
I am about to bottle my Honey Pale Ale my local brew supply guy said to use the remaining honey about 1/2 pound to prime the brew before bottling instead of using dextrose has anybody done this before? Do you get the same results with dextrose and the bottling timeframe to remain the same?

Thanks!

I've not done it and I'm not sure I would. Honey lacks yeast nutrients, so I'm not sure how well the yeast would be able to convert the sugars. Also - 1/2 pound (8 ounces) seems like WAY too much for priming. I would think between 5 and 6 oz would be plenty. Honey isn't 100% sugar, but it is pretty close.

All things considered, I'm not sure adding honey to prime would really gain you anything over corn sugar.

How much honey was in the boil?

yea, priming with honey nets you nothing over corn sugar. but if you have extra honey laying around, and no corn sugar, it makes a good substitute. however, considering how damn expensive honey is... i wouldn't buy it just for priming.

The recipe called for 1 pound of honey and my brew supplier said to use half pound when the wort was about to get chilled and the other half to use as a substitute as dextrose to prime so now I have 1/2 pound left. So what if I use half a cup of dextrose and the remaining honey? I still want to get the honey flavour in the beer...any thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

I would not use 1/2 cup dextrose AND the honey - unless you want the bottles to explode. Just use the honey - it won't net you much, but it should work.

I have found (maybe others know more) that when I brew with honey it takes a little extra time for the beer to mature - kind of has a sharp taste at first, so maybe give it 4 or 5 weeks in the bottle to do it's magic.

Ya I kinda figured that if I bottled with honey as the priming sugar that the age process would take longer however the net result with the honey would be good if I bottled and left it at room temp..has anyone done this before?

Back