Looking for Simple Temperature Control Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stimulus

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a temperature controller, but would like a simple plug and play solution.

I've seen a couple models and I've searched this board and not gotten a solid answer. I'm leaning towards the Johnson controller I say at my LHBS (but would like to fine it cheaper, if you know of a good place)

Is there a solid plug and go temperature controller out there? If so where is a good cheap place to get one?

I have been trying to figure out which exact models of controllers are the plug & play also.

The first thing to consider is your budget. A analog controller will generally be about $20 cheaper than a digital one. The digital controllers are more versatile as you they have both heating and cooling modes. You can do either with the analog units, but you must remove the cover and switch a lead to a different terminal inside. No big deal, but not as convenient as the digital models. Northern Brewer has them both shown on this link:

NORTHERN BREWER: Fermentation Temperature Control

I have three of the analog and one A419 digital unit. No problems with any of them and the oldest analog model is approaching ten years of use. Go digital if you can spare the cash. Otherwise, or if you need a bunch of them, the analogs might be the better choice.

You can get the digital controller for around $50 plus shipping by searching around here.
You wil have to add the wire, which is pretty simple.

I just bought the Ranco ETC 111000 from Pexsupply.com for $49.

Hommel Homebrew

You can get the digital controller for around $50 plus shipping by searching around here.
You wil have to add the wire, which is pretty simple.

I just bought the Ranco ETC 111000 from Pexsupply.com for $49.

Hommel Homebrew

That's a good price! Does it come with a thermocouple probe or is that a spearate purchase. The basic wiring shouldn't be much trouble or expense, but a buying a probe might push the cost up beside a pre-wired Johnson digital. $79 for the Johnson vs. $50 for the Ranco plus the cost of wire and plugs gets it almost to a push on cost.

Back