Philadelphia supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smh

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Anyone if Philly with tips on where to get supplies? I'll be moving in the fall and am looking to continue cider making and to get started in brewing beer.

Thanks.

Keystone Homebrew. It's in Montgomeryville about 20 miles north of Phila. They have everything.

keystone is the best. depends what part of philly though. there are places in center city and i know of a few places in the northeast such as wine, barley, and hops.

All good suggestions. Another one to onsider, depending on where in Philly you will be is one in Westmont,NJ BYOB. It is just minutes from both the Walt Whitman and Ben Franklin bridges. East to get to.

The guys at Barry's Homebrew are great and they have a pretty decent selection. Seems like every time I go in they have something new. Keystone is bigger and worth checking out but not necessarily local if you're in Philly. Gotta figure it takes 15 minutes to get 3 miles in much of the city due to lights and traffic. As far as grain goes, I buy most of my base malts from the group buy on here.

How close to philly? There are such sprawling suburbs everywhere. I live 45 minutes nw of the city, we have a great a shop in the pottstown area. Weaknee Homebrew. BTW, you do know about a little convention in philly next year, right?

+1 for keystone, slection is better than the 5 or so other shops I've been too and at least the gentlemen I dealt with was VERY knowledgable and more than willing to spend an hour+ with me.

What is this "little convention" you speak of?

I live NE of Philly in Bucks County, use Wine, Barley and Hops usually. In Feasterville. Princeton Homebrew is closer but I had a few odd experiences there so I stick to the other one.

I'd have to vote for keystone. Until recently, I would drive from newark to montgomeryville just to hit up keystone.

+1 for keystone, I just hand them two or three recipe print outs and they will gather all the grain together and crush it for you

Keystone is the way to go, just make sure you're buying for a few recipes worth to make the trip worth your while. I know they get in a lot of fresh cider in the fall, best to reserve it once it is announced. You have to sign up for the newsletter, though.

I often stop by Home Sweet Homebrew to pick up odds and ends as it's not too far from work. A bit on the pricey side, but convenient and they usually have what I need.

What is this "little convention" you speak of?

The National Homebrewer's Convention is in Philly in 2013. Can't wait!

I live an hour N of Philly and I go to Keystone's Bethlehem store. I've been to Montgomeryville and it's a beautiful store. They have wine/beer/cheese making classes, and they recently had a seminar on yeast lead by someone from Wyeast (and it was free).

Back