Interesting Beer News for North Carolina

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forsee many future road trips up to Asheville/Hendersonville!!

Don't forget to add Fullsteam on the list of great breweries to visit in NC in my rankings it's tied with foothills for second behind duckrabbit!

Sent from my iPad2 using HB Talk

I just spent a week in the Sylva area, went to Asheville and did a big walk about going to all the different brewerys and taprooms, downtown Asheville is awsome , we had a blast. Barleys was real fun especially after 4 when they opened the upper bar, lots of fine IPA's and IIpa's. I'll tell ya the Nantahalla brewery has a hell if a IPA called Noon Day IPA. truelly a great fresh tasting IPA. ( Ive emailed them trying for hints on the recipe)Cant wait until next year, this time with a dedicated desinated driver we are gonna hit them all. I love this area of N.C. and have put in a request with my company for xfer if there is ever an opening.

thumbs up for Bad Penny.... One of my go to's in the Big Boss Tap Room (when I manage to get over there..)

PerpetualBuzz said:
I love the Asheville area...good food, beer, music, vibe. However, Big Boss has one of my favorite stouts ever.

Which one are you talking about? Big Operator? I think that was a stout. It was delicious, made with chocolate and raspberries.

Which one are you talking about? Big Operator? I think that was a stout. It was delicious, made with chocolate and raspberries.

Aces and Ates, the coffee stout...I think it came in around 8%. It was even fantastic poured over some vanilla ice cream.

Yeah NC breweries rock!! That's some good news to hear they will now have more control over their products and how they get them to the masses!

I've heard that Sierra Nevada is planning on opening a production plant near Asheville/Black Mountain - hope it's not just a rumor!

I'll tell ya the Nantahalla brewery has a hell if a IPA called Noon Day IPA. truelly a great fresh tasting IPA. ( Ive emailed them trying for hints on the recipe)

Aye, really a great sessionable beer! I'm interested to hear if you get any info back from them.

I wish I had discovered the wonder that is craft beer before leaving NC. It sounds like they have a plethora of good beer, and I've had almost none of it. I was still in the college phase at the time, where Yuengling was my drink of choice, and it was a really special week when I got a sixer or twelver of sierra nevada (or rarely, but occasionally carolina pale ale). If only I'd known and been able to appreciate a good IPA or stout. Living in California has changed my life...

I just spent a week in the Sylva area, went to Asheville and did a big walk about going to all the different brewerys and taprooms, downtown Asheville is awsome , we had a blast. Barleys was real fun especially after 4 when they opened the upper bar, lots of fine IPA's and IIpa's. I'll tell ya the Nantahalla brewery has a hell if a IPA called Noon Day IPA. truelly a great fresh tasting IPA. ( Ive emailed them trying for hints on the recipe)Cant wait until next year, this time with a dedicated desinated driver we are gonna hit them all. I love this area of N.C. and have put in a request with my company for xfer if there is ever an opening.

Wow, I actually just went up to Asheville too from Atlanta to tour/taste all the breweries. The Nantahalla IPA was the best beer I had. I also tried emailing them but got no response unfortunately. Allowing the small breweries to give tastings and directly sell to the customer was awesome and something that I wish Georgia would adopt.

skibb said:
I've heard that Sierra Nevada is planning on opening a production plant near Asheville/Black Mountain - hope it's not just a rumor!.

Yeah in issue #58 of Beeradvocate it say " Sierra Nevada executives were spotted in Asheville, NC., In late October, fueling rumors that the Chico, Calif., brewery will open an east coast location in N.C.". This is all that is said but I assume a reputable magazine in the beer world would not even print this if it was not going to happen, or at least in the works to happen.

Sent from my iPad2 using HB Talk

Well I will likely be working this: Asheville Winter Warmer Beer Fest for Foothills brewing, so I will see if I can pick some information from the Nantahalla brewing guys if I run into them. In the last beerfest I worked, our booth was right next to theirs - they are a really nice group of people.

Has anyone attempted to split a batch of beer at bottling time and alter half the batch. Im thinking of altering a batch at bottling time be adding a hope tea to half of the batch. Going for two different beers.

Here's what a typical North Carolina gas station looks like (took this last night).

Okay, it's not typical... it's Sam's Quick Shop in Durham, NC. They even have beer on tap and beginning next week they will sell 21st Amendment!

samsquickshop.jpg

Its also noted that New Belgium will be looking forward to opening a brewery in Asheville. The city's going to give them tax cuts. Small breweries are pissed. SN (may) open a brewery in Black Mountain which is right outside of asheville. Hopefully I can get a job at either one!

I live in Sylva and am lucky to have such a great beer scene close by. The guys at Nantahala have graciously sampled my homebrew from time to time. It really is a great brewery.

Mother Earth Brewery has some really nice brews from what I have tried. One of my neighbors has a cousin that works there and can occasionally get us some down our way. I would love to try more of their lineup.

I live in Sylva and am lucky to have such a great beer scene close by. The guys at Nantahala have graciously sampled my homebrew from time to time. It really is a great brewery.

Good God man, find out the recipe for the Noon Day and share!!!!!!
You will be my hero, that stuff beats most of what I've ever drank. At least find out what hops they use! I read on their website its Glacier but I dont think this is correct. The grain bill should be easy enough to replicate but I just cant fiqure out what the hops are.

Please for the love of great beer get some info:mug:
Florida is the armpit of America when it comes to great fresh beer.
We even took 2 growlers home with us bought at the local IGA.

DEWSBREW said:
Good God man, find out the recipe for the Noon Day and share!!!!!!
You will be my hero, that stuff beats most of what I've ever drank. At least find out what hops they use! I read on their website its Glacier but I dont think this is correct. The grain bill should be easy enough to replicate but I just cant fiqure out what the hops are.

Please for the love of great beer get some info:mug:
Florida is the armpit of America when it comes to great fresh beer.
We even took 2 growlers home with us bought at the local IGA.

I'll see what I can do, I'm almost sure I taste citra and simcoe though. Give me a day or two

wncbrewer said:
I'll see what I can do, I'm almost sure I taste citra and simcoe though. Give me a day or two

Dewsbrew,

Pm me again, I seem to be having tech difficulty

Here's what a typical North Carolina gas station looks like (took this last night).

Okay, it's not typical... it's Sam's Quick Shop in Durham, NC. They even have beer on tap and beginning next week they will sell 21st Amendment!

Yeah, absolutely not typical for ANYWHERE in the U.S. That shop is awesome, one of the best I have seen in the entire state much less the U.S.

As for NC breweries, Fullsteam is so underrated -- only draft beers as far as I am aware and using local ingredients as much as possible. Duck Rabbit has an outstanding porter (esp. on draft), Gaelic Ale from Highlander is terrific and there are a host of other breweries putting out great products on a local level. NC is worth a visit just to check out what is brewing.

^all highlands stuff if excellent... I've been sipping on the thunderstruck coffee porter, but I think it is only available locally... their IPA, pale ale, well s--t, it's all great... Asheville has a couple nice LHBS places too.

Its also noted that New Belgium will be looking forward to opening a brewery in Asheville. The city's going to give them tax cuts. Small breweries are pissed. SN (may) open a brewery in Black Mountain which is right outside of asheville. Hopefully I can get a job at either one!

That's is what I am shooting for.

I just found out that SN place of business is not near black mountain. They're moving next to hendersonville, and not planning to hire or build till 2014. On the other hand New Belgian will be breaking ground sooner near River Arts Distric and plans to open at the end of 2013. I'll be searching their website for jobs soon, as both plan to post job listings only on their websites. By the way it's all about Andy's (owner of French Broad's) LHBS. They have Great advice, Hop'n Vine is a little to bourgeoisie for me.

^I'll have to keep an eye out for their stuff.

I just found out that SN place of business is not near black mountain. They're moving next to hendersonville, and not planning to hire or build till 2014. On the other hand New Belgian will be breaking ground sooner near River Arts Distric and plans to open at the end of 2013. I'll be searching their website for jobs soon, as both plan to post job listings only on their websites. By the way it's all about Andy's (owner of French Broad's) LHBS. They have Great advice, Hop'n Vine is a little to bourgeoisie for me.

Yeah, SN is going to be in Mills River (I can drive there in an hour). I tried to go the LHBS in E. Asheville once and it was closed, so I ended up going to Hops & Vines... I've been in a few times and liked them, but your description is interesting... details??? Thanks for all the info.

Its things like this that make feel fortunate to live in a state where these things have always been allowed (AFAIK). Sure liquor stores are closed on Sundays but for the past 3 years you can take beer home from breweries on Sunday which IMO is actually kind of a coup for craft brewing and engenders an interesting beer culture in the state of Indiana. For instance there's a tap room called "Bier Brewery" here in central Indiana that seems to bring in a steady stream of business during the weekdays they are open and Saturday but come Sunday the place can get packed to the gills. For those of us who have lived in Indiana our whole lives being able to buy beer on Sundays from small breweries and take it home feels like "sticking it to the man." It's a hard concept to grasp unless you've lived your whole life under "Blue Laws".

Good to hear. You can still buy grain alcohol (everclear) in Indiana, right? They outlawed the 190ish+ proof stuff here. Now I have to use high proof vodka for my herbal tinctures... :mad:

Noda is definitely changing the feel of beer in Charlotte. I hope Birdsong and Ass Clown (especially, since they are so experimental...) can keep up the pace....

Ass Clown... hehe :)

Good to hear. You can still buy grain alcohol (everclear) in Indiana, right? They outlawed the 190ish+ proof stuff here. Now I have to use high proof vodka for my herbal tinctures... :mad:

Yeah, we have Everclear. You could always redistill cheap vodka. Just make sure you don't blow up your house though!

lol... yeah... the high proof vodka is usually good enough... I can always slip on over into Indiana when I am visiting family in Ohio and grab some.

Sipping on a my homebrewed IPA right now... it's tasty.

Ass Clown... hehe :)

Yes, it's an unfortunate name (or fortunate perhaps...they do make very good beer, and as much as the line for their tent definitely dominated the lines for all other tents at last year's Charlotte Oktoberfest...I had wondered if perhaps the name was as much of a draw as the beer...)

I'll give them a plug...

Not necessarily a bad name... I prefer "Ass Hat," lol... you might be right that it actually helps draw people in. You're list of mead is impressive... Road trip!

haha... yeah, legit actually... my wife has chronic lyme disease and the conventional antibiotics have not gotten her back to good health, so I'm growing/harvesting teasel, joe pye (gravelroot), artemisia/wormwood (going to add this to some brew too!), stinging nettles, etc... to try to get her back on track. ;)

Haha...I was just going to mention Oskar Blues! Dale's Pale Ale is good stuff. I don't think anyone mentioned Red Oak being North Carolina. I guess they only make one beer, but it's pretty good.

Back