would this work? steel workbench for brewstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I imagine it would work. I think the height might be the only issue if you build up from the bench surface. The bench top is already 35" so by the time you add burners and your keggles their tops will be a bit high.

I can't see why it wouldn't work. It should definately have the weight capacity.

I am just begining a build and plan to use this:

http://www.unistrut.com/

under >products >1-5/8 metal framing

We use it all the time in our electrical work. It is super strong and all you really need to assemble is a hack saw and some nuts/bolts/washers. There are also a ton of accessories available for corners etc...I am sure a local electrician or plumber would sell some if you can't source elsewhere.

I think my custom stand should cost around $100.00 in parts when I am finished and I am sure it will be strong enough for me to climb if I want.

I was thinking you could cut a hole and mount the burners below... but as i type this i realize that would impact the load you could have on the surface.

as for the height... what is the popular height for a single tier brewstand?

Just started setting up the brewhaus with these. Bought 2 yesterday. Thinking of getting a couple more. Might try to use a set for a 3-tier setup, HLT on top, MLT in middle and a burner with the BK on the floor. Only concern I have is that wire starts to bow a little with the weight of a full 5-gallon bucket. Wondering how a heavy 10-gal MLT full of Wee Heavy mash will work?

For a guy that doesn't weld/build much... could this work as a brewstand with minor modifications? It is rated at 1000lbs capacity with casters, 2000lbs without. If 3 15.5 gallon keggles were full, the liquid would weight approximately 400lbs, and the keggles another 100lbs.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/138931/Jamco-Steel-Workbench-Mobile-or-Stationary

That table sure looks great in the picture, I could use 3 of them now in shop. kind of a shame to cut one up for a brewing rig.
Why not scratch build one to your exact height and dimensions for your planned brewing rig?

Yes, you could make it work. It's sheet steel, so I know that *I* would scratch the cr4p out of it, just in time for it to start rusting :D YMMV (I hope).

what is your time worth? you will be spending alot of time cutting that up to fit burners and not to mention the sawzall blades or what ever means you haeve of cutting the holes for the burners. You mite be better off looking at a welder put a stand together for u.

The heat from propane burners is likely to melt those wire rack shelves. The thin sheet metal top is also not ideal.

what is your time worth? you will be spending alot of time cutting that up to fit burners and not to mention the sawzall blades or what ever means you haeve of cutting the holes for the burners. You mite be better off looking at a welder put a stand together for u.
Yeah, if you are considering dropping $300+ on a table, you might as well draw up a custom brew stand and have a fab shop quote you on it. I would imagine you could get something that suits your needs better than that table would, for about the same price.

Yeah, if you are considering dropping $300+ on a table, you might as well draw up a custom brew stand and have a fab shop quote you on it. I would imagine you could get something that suits your needs better than that table would, for about the same price.

FWIW, I took Lonnie's Brutus plans to a couple of local welders. Prices I got were about $130 for materials, and ranged $600-$800 for labor. This was mild steel too, stainless was $400 for materials, and a couple hundred more for labor. (I did manage to get much cheaper prices from guys on Craigslist, but who knows how the work would turn out?)

Of course them's California Bay Area prices, so YMMV. But it's not necessarily a cheap project...

FWIW, I took Lonnie's Brutus plans to a couple of local welders. Prices I got were about $130 for materials, and ranged $600-$800 for labor. This was mild steel too, stainless was $400 for materials, and a couple hundred more for labor. (I did manage to get much cheaper prices from guys on Craigslist, but who knows how the work would turn out?)

Of course them's California Bay Area prices, so YMMV. But it's not necessarily a cheap project...
Are these the plans you were talking about?I think someone looking to save money could go a bit simpler with the design, use smaller tubing (or 2x2x1/8 angle), and probably bring the labor cost down a fair amount.

Another option that's always available is to build the stand yourself using nuts and bolts rather than hiring a welder. I've been strongly considering going this route myself when it comes time for me to put together my first serious brewstand later this year. It doesn't seem like it's a terribly common design choice as far as I've seen; most guys opt to shell out for a professional weld job since they're already spending a lot of money on other equipment (controllers, burners, pumps, etc.).

Mild steel (and stainless, for that matter) is easily drilled with a cordless drill and an ordinary high-speed steel drill bit, especially when it's only 1/8" thick. It's pretty easy to cut with a hand saw, too. Many steel suppliers will cut tube/angle/bar stock to length for you for a little bit extra, so you could come up with a design, make a cut list from that, and then order a set of pre-cut steel parts ready to be drilled and bolted together.

Once it's built and you're happy with what you've got, disassemble, sand and spraypaint the parts, and then reassemble after they've dried. Done properly, you'll end up with a stand that's functionally just as good as a welded stand without paying a fortune for labor. It might not look as clean as a welded stand because of the nuts and bolts and extra supports needed, but it'd look a hell of lot better than a hacked-apart steel workbench, and it'd be your own custom design. I think it could easily be done for less than $300, too.

Welded/bolted structures are my favorite sort of thing to design, but lately my company has me working on fiddly little mechanisms and precision-machined parts instead. If anyone has questions about the structural design of a bolted-up (or welded) brewstand, feel free to PM me, it'll help me stay sharp :)

i just got done putting my stand together. the steel was $80 total, that was for 40 ft of 2" steel stubing 1/8" thick, but I was able to weld it myself.

Are these the plans you were talking about?I think someone looking to save money could go a bit simpler with the design, use smaller tubing (or 2x2x1/8 angle), and probably bring the labor cost down a fair amount.

Those are indeed. It boils down to a full day of labour, and they charge, I guess, $60-$70 an hour. Which is about what a plumber etc. would, I guess. I talked to Snake about his build, and he had a friend weld up his stand for $100, and it took him 3 hours. Snake took the stand home, ground all the welds himself, so that's a way of saving some cash there. I got lucky, a fellow local HBTer is going to be building a stand as well, he's got a welder, and is going to let me have some shop time up at his place. I'll be kicking off the build in the next week or two, I hope.

you don't happen to live in buckeye AZ do you ? if you do I will help you build a stand I am moving back to mesa in a few weeks. you bring the beer and maybe a sack of 2row.

hehe, I just set up one of these earlier! I didn't feel like disassembling my turkey cooker so, I plan on using it on the bottom shelf and putting the pot directly on the shelf above it. It will come to rest about an inch above the cooker. I figure worst case scenario is I'll lose the chrome on it and might have to replace it at some point.. What's nice is there's easily enough room for AG setup. I've got a brew planned for Sunday and am looking forward to see how everything 'flows'. If all goes well, I plan on adding copper tubing to everything... :)

you don't happen to live in buckeye AZ do you ? if you do I will help you build a stand I am moving back to mesa in a few weeks. you bring the beer and maybe a sack of 2row.

That's a negative. As a recent Ohio State Alumni, AZ is like a second home. I'm really in the Buckeye state, and smiling from ear to ear this morning! My Brownies are on a 3 game winning streak too you know!

Back