do bottles have to be stored in sanitary, clean place?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovebeer

Reaction score
My bottles have airlocks and are stored in a pretty dirty, dusty area. is this a problem?

Well I keep all of my unused brew gear in my garage. You always want to clean/sanitize all of your gear when you brew, so it shouldn't matter where you keep it. Even if it was kept inside for weeks, I would still clean and sanitize everything on brew day.

OOps.....I misread the question......sorry.

I guess you would be fine, providing you have a grip on your temps. An airlock is a one way valve, essentially....air goes out, not in. Just make sure to keep up on the water level in the airlock and you ought to be fine.

talleymonster said:
OOps.....I misread the question......sorry.

I guess you would be fine, providing you have a grip on your temps. An airlock is a one way valve, essentially....air goes out, not in. Just make sure to keep up on the water level in the airlock and you ought to be fine.
i know this is a really stupid question but i'm new to brewing. i have those italian airlocks that look like an S if it was turned sideways. does there have to be water on both sides of the airlock or just one?

BigKahuna said:
Just one...if there is pressure in the bottle, you will not have any water on the bottle side......And they work great...Don't discredit them.

I actually prefer them. I have had too many of the 3-piece airlocks break when they get stuck in the bunghole (he he... bunghole) :drunk:

Back