First Hard Cider- Help with what to do next

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thiderboy

Reaction score
I am trying to make this taste like Hornsbys or Woodchucks.

Everything was mixed together at the same time:
4 Gallons of Motts Apple Juice
3/4 Cup Agave Nectar sugar
1 Package of Lager Yeast

1. Let this sit in my house 66F for 1 full day. Started fermentation.

2. Moved it to my garage to cold brew 55f. It has been here 6 days now. Any bubbling in the water lock is minimal. Maybe every 90 seconds or so if that.

Now What

I would like to bottle it and get a slight carbonation, something similar to woodchucks.

Should I siphon it and bottle it? cold crash? Prime the bottles and cap?

Please help.

If you want sparkling cider just siphon into bottles, prime and cap just like beer. The thing is that it wont taste much like woodchuck, your yeast will have eaten all of the sugar. It will be more like a dry white wine, not a bad thing just different than what you might be expecting.

Rack to bottling bucket/or whatever, back sweeting with a can of apple juice concentrate than bottle. Read the stovetop pasteurize sticky before bottling (if you haven't already). Maybe start with half a can of concentrate first, sample and add more if needed.

The hydrometer is showing 1.2 density. Should I continue to let ferment, or cold crash the yeast and bottle. It's been fermenting for 8 days in my garage at 55f.

Assuming you meant a reading of 1.020 then coldcrashing now may get you somewhere in the area of Woodchuck with sweetness.

I did not sweetin it and it does taste like wine... not what I was going for. Can I sweetin it with a can of apple concentrate instead of the orange juice? I want the next batch to be pretty sweet..

Back