Tangy Hefeweizen 1st taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotastic

Reaction score
So I cracked into the Hefe's this past week and I gotta say that it finishes like a Hefe but there is an initial tangy taste.

Any ideas what could have contributed to this?

It may have been a little premature as I could have waited a few extra days to make it 3 full weeks in the bottle

I'm starting to think that the beer my not have been completely finihed fermenting in the bucket because this was before I started reading about the 1-2-3 method and I only did a two week total fermentation

Hefe's are better when you drink them young. what was your fermentation temps?? i'm pretty new but the temp can play a lot into the esters your yeast produced

Diablotastic said:
So I cracked into the Hefe's this past week and I gotta say that it finishes like a Hefe but there is an initial tangy taste.

Any ideas what could have contributed to this?

It may have been a little premature as I could have waited a few extra days to make it 3 full weeks in the bottle

I'm starting to think that the beer my not have been completely finihed fermenting in the bucket because this was before I started reading about the 1-2-3 method and I only did a two week total fermentation

Most hefes have an acidic taste until they're a couple weeks old. Or it could be an infection. I usually ferment mine for a week, then keg, then let sit for 2-4 weeks to age right. Within a month it will probably be perfect.

Gonna give it another week or two for a total of 4-5weeks in the bottle to see if extra conditioning will help

So would a tangy taste be attributed to one particular issue or could there be many possibilites to what caused it?

Diablotastic said:
Gonna give it another week or two for a total of 4-5weeks in the bottle to see if extra conditioning will help

So would a tangy taste be attributed to one particular issue or could there be many possibilites to what caused it?

Lots of things. I wouldn't worry about infection. You didn't say "Undrinkable", you just said "Tangy". Post your recipe, temps, procedure, etc.

I but Frankenskaner (or something like that). The first one I have if its not really cold has a bit of a citrus tang. It passes though when my palate is used it. I spent the weekend drinking double chocolate stouts :D

some hefes are just plain tangy. sometimes its because its green. sometimes its because of the extract.

IMO hefes are usually best at about 5-6 weeks in the bottle and start to go downhill after a couple of months.

Cheesefood said:
Lots of things. I wouldn't worry about infection. You didn't say "Undrinkable", you just said "Tangy". Post your recipe, temps, procedure, etc.

Recipe as follows:

6lbs Bavarian Wheat

.5oz Northern Brewer Hops 6.8

OG 1.050

FG 1.015

As far as temps..I pitched yeast @ 78deg and the fermentation process was probably around 68ish but not sure exactly

I DID have a real slow fermentation that showed very little CO2 though....and at about the two week mark I moved the vessel to prepare for bottleing and I started to get bubble activity...I think there is a good chance that I may have needed to let it sit for longer after that.

Back