keggle boil time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpatel479

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How long does it take to get 5 gallons to a boil in a keggle? I have been waiting for 1 hr 20 min and mine is only up to 150. I'm thinking that the propane burner that I am using sucks.

The answer to the question is based on the number of btu's your burner is capable of. Mine do 180k and I can boil 5 gallons in probably 15 minutes.

You need a better burner. I get more than 5 gallons to about 160F in maybe 20 minutes (to mash-in) in my mash tun keg. Last batch was just over 8 gallons for the mash, and it might have taken 20 minutes.

I use Blichmann burners currently. Far better than the Bayou burner I was previously using. Even though the burner elements look identical, performance is not.

What burner do you have? Maybe the OPD has been tripped? or your pot is way to far from the burner?

I was using an old Brinkmann all purpose gas cooker. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think the regulator and hose might be the issue. The hose says that it is only rated for 1 psi max . Maybe a better hose and regulator might fix the issue?

If you are doing all grain brewing you can add low heat as soon as you have 2 inches in the kettle. I keep my kettle around 190 for the duration of the sparge. Once I have kettle full, a bump of the heat has me boiling within minutes.

I was using an old Brinkmann all purpose gas cooker. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think the regulator and hose might be the issue. The hose says that it is only rated for 1 psi max . Maybe a better hose and regulator might fix the issue?

Usually the regulator and hose that comes with a burner is matched to the burner. Putting a higher psi rated setup on the burner could produce unwanted effects.

IMO, if you want better performance from the burner, and you have it calibrated properly (blue flame/no soot at any amount of gas going through the regulator) then you need a better burner (with it's own regulator and hose). I noticed a big difference between the KAB4 I was using and the Blichmann burners.

Back