Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just brewed a batch of this and I tasted a sample before I pitched the yeast and it was extremely bitter. Will this mellow out as the beer ages?

I did use the biab method and put the in tettnanger hops once I pulled the grain bag.

In my experience, the wort always tastes considerably more bitter before fermentation than the finished beer does. A fair amount of the bitter hop resins usually get spit out of the fermenter with the blow-off, or stick to the sides of the fermenter in that ugly greenish-brown krausen ring. Also, some of these bitter resins and hop acids actually adhere to the cell walls of yeast cells, so you lose some bitterness in that way as well.

Don't worry, IPA wort is supposed to taste bitter. It will mellow quite a bit once fermentation is complete.:mug:

Brewed again this past Sunday and came up with a question.
Could you replace the 1/2 pound of flaked barley with flaked rye and get even more rye flavor along with the body/lacing/head that the flaked barly provides?

Regarding flaked rye, most of the posts I found when searching deal with flavor/mashing/diastic power/etc compared to malted rye.
Do all flaked grains - oats, barley, wheat, rye - produce the same body & head results? Or does the flaked barley take it to another level compared to the others?

Hey guys

My gravity has been stuck at 1.026 for about 5 days. Is there anything I can do to get it to the proper FG.

First brew I fired up after redeploying from Afghanistan last week. Looking forward to the end results. Haven't brewed this recipe before but Ed's recipes have all been winners so expecting good stuff.

Holy crap. I brewed this like 4 months ago as a reason to try something different and it sat in my carboy for 3 1/2 months. Finally gathered the effort to bottle and I'm trying it now. I am blown away. Wayyyyyyyy better than I had ever anticipated/expected. Probably the best IPA I've ever had. The "spice" to this beer is extremely smooth and this beer is actually delectable. I can't stop drinking it. Way to go, Ed! This brew is a major winner. I like it better than the other recipes you posted. Win stuff right here!

Got the ingredient to brew this next week. Have saaz and chinook in the freezer. And I scaled this down for my 72% brewhouse efficiency for a 1.064 OG. And I'm going with one pack of S-05

So, any extra tips or advice from those that have brewed this multiple times before? I am anxiously awaiting this brew, it looks fantastic

Cheers

I've brewed it twice. Not sure what happened but this 2nd batch isn't as spicy or have as much of the Chinook flavor and bitterness coming thru. Still a great beer tho, I love what the flaked barley does.

My advice would be to either mill the rye twice or set for a tighter grind for the rye - it's so much smaller then barley grains. This is a great recipe tho - I use MO as the base, and I'm going to sub in Amarillo for the FWH next time.

Cool, milled all the grain twice and I'm ready to go Monday or Friday. Amarillo sounds good, I think I still have a pound in the freezer.

Looking forward to it for sure :D

Cool, milled all the grain twice and I'm ready to go Monday or Friday. Amarillo sounds good, I think I still have a pound in the freezer.

Looking forward to it for sure :D

Amarillo in a spicy beer? Whut? lol. Look for a spicy hop and save the amarillo for a different pale ale or IPA :3

I know Amarillo is technically one of the "citrusy" hops, but from the brews I've tried it really works well with rye

Well DustBow, I'm with you. I think the combination will be fantastic. Of course I just brewed this yesterday for the first time, but I did go with the chinook/amarillo combo with the chinook being the dominant hop. I will dry hop with one ounce of each and hopefully it turns out the way I think it will.

Cheers

I think that will be fine. I've seen guys on here who always split the rye portion of a recipe 50/50 flaked & malted

I brewed this up yesterday. Followed the recipe, except went with a pound of the crystal. My LHBS only sells by the 1/2 lb, so I figured if I was going to pay for a pound, I was going to use a pound.
It turned out to be a brew day from hell, first the SS braid in the mash tun got kinked, then it came off. I ended up doing a modified brew-in-a bag sort of thing. Then with about a half hour left in the boil, a big storm came through. Had to tear everything down and move to the garage. Ended up with a ton of trub in the bottom of the carboy. Even a couple pine needles. Guess I didn't get all of them fished out. But it is fermenting, and what is coming out of the airlock smells good. So I am sure it will make beer. I am thinking about dry hopping with an ounce of Cascade when the fermentation is complete. I figure with all the crap already in there, another ounce of hop residue won't make a difference.

How do you think this recipe would look with about 8ounces of some Cherrywood Smoked Rye?

Will the smoke not go well with the hops that this recipe calls for?

I brewed this the first of the month and bottled last Saturday. Just cracked one open to see how it was coming along, and WOW! Malty, spicy and a great hop balance! And a head that just won't quit! It was way above the rim of the glass. I brewed this for my daughter for her birthday, I had never found an IPA I was too fond of, but she is very fond of them. But this is really good! Even with the problems I had on brewday it turned out fantastic. It will be brewed again, and again!

My hat's off to you, EdWort!

Brewing this today. Rye is sticky! Wish I had thrown some rice hulls in. Sparge has been a pain. Other than that, its looking great!

Brewed this today, smelled great going into the primary. Got better effciency than I expected and ended up at 1.070. This was my first ever rye beer, looking forward to drinking it!

Brewed this today, smelled great going into the primary. Got better effciency than I expected and ended up at 1.070. This was my first ever rye beer, looking forward to drinking it!

Funny. That's exactly what I ended up at, 1.070, even with my PITA sparge. I thought it was going to be low.

Haha that is weird. Whats crazy is that I had all my grain measured out and put in my grinder, when somehow the small table it is on tipped over, spilling my grain all over the floor. Luckily my floor was clean, and I swept up most of it, but probably .2 of a pound was missing or went under stuff. Still got 1.070 :mug:

yep. I lost a little bit dumping the entire mash into a bucket to try to open up the weave on my braid. Still hit 1.070. I have no idea how. Like I said, I expected it to be way under. Who knows. Stars must have been in alignment.

I just picked some fresh cascades. I have 3 pounds of it. Going to brew a batch of this with some and dry the rest. What do you all suggest? Use the fresh at 5x amounts for both the 15 and 5 min additions? Or just the 5?

Boiling this as I type. Had trouble with my first runoff again. Once I have problems, then the liquid starts to cool, which makes it run slower, which ends up cooling the mash more, which makes it run slower, ad infinitum. Once I added the hot sparge water things loosened up, but I am afraid I will end up with a ton of trub in the bottom of the fermenter again. But it turned out good last time, so I am not too worried. When fermentation is complete I am going to dry hopagain, this time with an ounce of both centennial and cascade. Great stuff.

I ended up with an OG of 1.078. I think a little too vigorous a boil. Added a gallon of water when I pitched the yeast, the carboy looked at about the right level. I need to get my equipment calibrated.

i pitched this on to a cake from a 1.040 beer, and added 1 packet of dry yeast sine my OG came in over 1.070. it went crazy in 4 hours, but it pooped out. I had 1.018 on 9/20 and i am at 1.016 today. i am rousing the yeast, but I think i am suffering a bit from premature fermentation....never tried the beano trick, wondering if I should now or at least rack to a secondary to prevent autolysis off flavors...

it might be done - you're pushing 80% attenuation right now going from 1.070+ down to 1.016

All my recipes are rated at 75% efficiency. It's strange how some of the bold items have disappeared from my recipes.

Mighty fine Beer!! Thank you.

rye.jpg

I seem to be brewing all your recipes! Did the pale for an Xmas party, ipa is going into the keg tonight, and just finishing up this one. First time hitting 75% efficiency, yay!!!

So I brewed this beer as my 5th all grain and 1st all grain with my new false bottom in the Tun. After getting terrible efficiencies with a copper manifold in the 40%-50% range on my first 4 brews, I am happy to say that this one hit %80! While I normally do secondary (for clearing) I decided to just bottle after the 10 days in primary using 8oz of Extra Light DME for priming. A cool 6 days later I cracked one open and WOW! This beer is great! It's not even been two weeks since I opened that first bottle and I am already down to the last 6 bottles! This beer was a hit this past weekend at my Father-in-laws Birthday party, I think this will be my first 10 gallon batch here soon! Thanks Ed Wort!

This ones ready for kegging now! Did you dry hop at all? I have a LOT of half opened packages of hops sitting in my freezer. Maybe I'll make a wild dry hop concoction.

Quick question. I'm entering this into Beersmith and need to know if the 2# of Rye is Rye Malt or Flaked Rye. Thanks!

Ed,

You ever dry hop this with chinook or anything else? I have a batch three weeks into primary and am wondering if I should add an oz of chinook or something else. Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks for the recipe.

I'm brand new brewer. Chose this as my first batch!

Followed the original post, no substitutions. Did everything I could to mess it up, thought it would be rancid b/c I didn't feel like a properly sterilize or add yeast correctly.

Just got done with primary, going to bottle this weekend (put it in a secondary carboy for a short time for various personal reasons, ie no time to bottle, couldn't wait another day to try it) TURNED OUT PERFECT!!!

Org. Spec. Gravity = 1.0635
11 days in Primary Spec. Gravity = 1.0088

Has fantastic flavor even without proper carbonation, I'd say IBUs are right on par with stated original post, really nice spicy & bitter start with a smooth malty (I like to say nut like) finish. LOVE IT!

Thank you :D

I just put this on tap last weekend. Brewed it early Dec. 2011.
All I can say is; this beer is phenomenal! THANKS FOR THE RECIPE!

Back