First time post. I am starting to brew wine at home

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loren601

Reaction score
I am starting to brew wine at home and am looking for any beginner tips that will help. Also any suggestions on what my first wine should be will be appreciated. Thanks

loren601 said:
I am starting to brew wine at home and am looking for any beginner tips that will help. Also any suggestions on what my first wine should be will be appreciated. Thanks

Get into a good sanitizing routine.

There are several methods, but I find it easiest to use a solution of potassium metabisulfite and water. You don't need to wait for it to dry or rinse with water. It's the easiest for me.

Also, use the right wine yeast for the type of wine you are making. Don't rely on wild yeast or use bread yeast.

And finally.... PATIENCE don't rush it.

Make whatever wine you normally enjoy, once it turns out well, you'll want to make it again.

Have fun!

I I saw where u mentioned the yeast. I read not to use any of the bread yeast. I ordered some Red Star Montrachet yeast which said it was a kind of all purpose yeast. Do u think that would be ok. I'm thinking of making a sweet strawberry desert wine.

loren601 said:
I I saw where u mentioned the yeast. I read not to use any of the bread yeast. I ordered some Red Star Montrachet yeast which said it was a kind of all purpose yeast. Do u think that would be ok. I'm thinking of making a sweet strawberry desert wine.

That yeast will work for strawberry wine.

Keep detailed notes. I use post its and write down everything. The I transfer it to a wine recipe book. Even the bad recipes have a special chapter.

MzAnnie said:
Keep detailed notes. I use post its and write down everything. The I transfer it to a wine recipe book. Even the bad recipes have a special chapter.

I like that idea. How big is your recipe book and do u have any good mead recipes

Wine expert sells kits many kits. They give you everything you need. I'd try that. Makes 6 gals or 30 bottles of wine. I know of a company who only makes wine from these kits a is making a great living of of them. They hold wine conventions and classes using these kits.

HawaiianBrew said:
Wine expert sells kits many kits. They give you everything you need. I'd try that.

I'm trying to stay away from the kits. I'm thinking i wanna go with fresh fruit or (local honey combs).

I like that idea. How big is your recipe book and do u have any good mead recipes

It is just a hardcover notebook. Half the time I am too lazy to put the recipe in, or there is no rainy day on the horizon, so it is full of sticky notes! :drunk: Somewhere on this site is a recipe for Carmel Apple Mead. I made it about 3 months ago, for my husband (I don't like mead) and it is still in the secondary. It should be good, it got a lot of raves, and I didn't waiver from the recipe at all. I prefer deep reds, purples and pineapple. I had been making more Elderberry/Hibiscus, for the cold and flu season. When summer gets here, it will be Pom/Blueberry. I am kind of in a rut after making some crap apple wine (like an idiot I used cane syrup) and we just finished drinking all 5 gallons of it. So I am sticking to the reds, until I wash that awful experience out of my mouth! :)

Back