Did I do anything terrible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duluz

Reaction score
Well, first brew in Primary, but not with out a few mistakes of course.... Just wanted to throw them out there and see how bad they were.

Left the lid on while boiling.

shook the carboy violently after putting in yeast.

Had a boil over.

Did not take gravity reading.

Did not get ALL of the malt in (some left on lid and in bottle)

you might end up with DMS (wet cardboard taste) because you left the lid on. The rest...well...do better next time. Shaking up the carboy is fine at any point prior to fermentation getting started. It's recommended actually.

How much malt got left on the bottle/lid?

Evan! said:
you might end up with DMS (wet cardboard taste) because you left the lid on. The rest...well...do better next time. Shaking up the carboy is fine at any point prior to fermentation getting started. It's recommended actually.

How much malt got left on the bottle/lid?

A good 3-4 spoonfuls got left.

Shaking is bad should I just lightly rotate for a minute?

Kilted Brewer said:
Honestly....you didn't do anything horrible at all.
Enjoy the hobby...it is a hobby after all.

Yes, but a hobby I want to be good at.

Duluz said:
Well, first brew in Primary, but not with out a few mistakes of course.... Just wanted to throw them out there and see how bad they were.

From How to Brew. Note the second paragraph.

Dimethyl Sulfides (DMS)/ Cooked Vegetable Flavors
Like diacetyl in ales, DMS is common in many light lagers and is considered to be part of the character. DMS is produced in the wort during the boil by the reduction of another compound, S-methyl-methionine (SMM), which is itself produced during malting. When a malt is roasted or toasted, the SMM is reduced beforehand and does not manifest as DMS in the wort, which explains why it is more prevalent in pale lagers. In other styles, DMS is a common off-flavor, and can be caused by poor brewing practices or bacterial infections.

DMS is continuously produced in the wort while it is hot and is usually removed by vaporization during the boil. If the wort is cooled slowly these compounds will not be removed from the wort and will dissolve back in. Thus it is important to not completely cover the brewpot during the boil or allow condensate to drip back into the pot from the lid. The wort should also be cooled quickly after the boil, either by immersing in an ice bath or using a wort chiller.

When caused by bacterial infection, DMS has a more rancid character, more liked cooked cabbage than corn. It is usually the result of poor sanitation. Repitching the yeast from an infected batch of

Duluz said:
shook the carboy violently after putting in yeast.

This is good. The more shaking the better. Its called aeration, and yeast need it to grow.

The only time you want to add air to the beer is after the wort is cooled and before fermentation starts. Once fermentation starts do not shake your carboy.

Duluz said:
Had a boil over.

Did not take gravity reading.

Did not get ALL of the malt in (some left on lid and in bottle).

These are no big deal.

All in all, sounds like you did OK. Welcome to the club!

:mug:

Duluz said:
Yeah, I did that on my first batch, which is sitting in secondary waiting to be bottled this weekend. It's obviously not a good idea, as others point out, and I'll definitely not do it again. I was worried about whether I'd ruined the beer, though from reading around (and as usual from tons of helpful comments on here) it doesn't seem like this is the kind of mistake that'll ruin a batch. Fingers crossed our beers should still be drinkable - I'm hoping the pride in my first batch of home-brewed beer will drown out any cardboardy taste. And whatever happens, it's a lesson learned that'll make the next batch better!

Opps... I also made my first batch this weekend, and I left the lid on during boil. I have an electric stove, so I thought it'd help get a stronger boil going.

I've read that the stronger the boil, the better. Is this true? What is the benefit?

AZ_Brew_Dude said:
Opps... I also made my first batch this weekend, and I left the lid on during boil. I have an electric stove, so I thought it'd help get a stronger boil going.

I've read that the stronger the boil, the better. Is this true? What is the benefit?

I did the same thing on my first batch when I had an electric stove. When the brew bottled and conditioned, it tasted great with no negative affects because I left the lid on that I could tell. It wont ruin your brew, for sure, just dont do it again.

FYI - Home Depot, in my area anyway, has 150k BTU propane burners for around 40 bucks. It's worth it to get your brew off the electric stove, IMHO. Better temperature control so you're not cranking the knob back and forth to walk the line of boil and boil over.

a lid question:
Should I chill my wort (ice bath) with the lid on for sanitation or off to lessen DMT?

I leave the lid mostly on but slightly open, partly for DMS reasons and partly so it cools faster. But I'm a total n00b, so that might be a terrible idea...

I'm new, as well...but if we're talking malt EXTRACT, isn't the DMS already boiled off before we buy it?

The honest answer is I don't know, but I was under the impression that DMS is something that's continually produced when boiling wort, and so isn't one of the all-grain-only issues that extract brewers avoid. Sadly I can't remember where I read that, so that's probably as much use as a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest.

Back