camlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmurda

Reaction score
im trying to order some camlocks to use on my top tier but dont know what i need to order so everything will work. plz let me know what to order.

From Brewhardware.com:

Camlock style disconnects are absolutely the best compromise cost and function for making and breaking connections between your vessels, chillers, pumps and hose sets. Eventually you get tired of pushing tubing onto hose barbs and adusting worm gear clamps. These are cheaper than triclovers and all other stainless steel quick disconnect designs. They connect/disconnect faster than triclovers too! They come with replacable food grade silicone gaskets. Click more info for product application guidelines and ordering options.

Options:

The "quick disconnect" or business portion of the camlock system consists of male and female parts. The male side is a cylinder with an external concave recess around the circumference and a front sealing face. Once inserted into the female coupling, a set of cammed arms are drawn back to apply pressure to the male's recess which locks the parts together and holds the male's sealing face tight to the captured gasket.

Utimate application is up to the user, but it is most common to use the male part on fixed brewery components while the female coupling end is typically installed on the more mobile parts like hose sets. Why? The movable cam arms need room to swing.

Type A - Male QD/ Female 1/2" NPT. The most common use for this part is attaching to the wort in/out ports on a plate chiller. It can also be used for recirculation ports, the in/out of a HERMS coil. etc.
Type F - Male QD / Male 1/2" NPT. Usually used on the output of brewing vessels, threaded in after the ball valve. Used in place of traditional hose barbs.
Type B - Female QD Coupling to Male 1/2" NPT. These are usually installed on the more portable or hand held end such as on your high temperature hose set. We have found that 1/2" silicone tubing will stretch over the 1/2" threads which is a better flowing option to using hose barbs. See more options in the pics below.
Type D - Female QD Coupling to Female 1/2" NPT. These are used if you want to use a hose barb or other custom applications.
Type DC - Female QD End Cap - This fitting is especially useful if you want to cap off your Type A or F fitting that hangs off your ball valve drains. It allows you to put some cleaning solution in the bottom of your vessel and leave the ball valve open, or to work the valve open and closed while surrounded by solution.
camlocksummary.png

camlockapplication.png

Any questions?

Bobby's diagrams helped me out when making my order. I got a few extra F's for future use, and I already used them. One went on my CFC.

I agree, Bobby's diagrams helped me decide also.
I also don't use any barbs and slip 1/2" ID Silicon directly over the 12 pipe threads like his lower pic, works fine and give the best flow possible. Also, the street elbow does make a nice handle.

One thing to keep in mind though. These things can get HOT, so consider purchasing a pair of thick rubber gloves to change them when you need to.

Bobby's ball valve is backwards! HA HA! BOBBY SCREWED UP!

Sorry. I'm feeling rather juvenile today.

Back