My beer tastes like Mustard!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OdinsBrew

Reaction score
I brewed a belgian ale kit. I modified it with extra oats and wheat and hops and a tiny bit of cinnamon. At bottling I split it into 3 separate batches. Some I bottled plain. Then I filled a 3 liter bottle and added lactose to sweeten and apples. Then I added 2 oz blackberry extract from my LHBS to the remainder of the bottle bucket and bottled that.

The plain stuff was delicious. The apple stuff doesn't have much apple taste but not bad. The blackberry batch smells and tastes like mustard. Yellow mustard. One bottle I tried today, that was in a growler and a little over carbonated seemed better than other tests. The pour was all head and I think the carbonation, as it disapaited in the glass, blew off some of the mustard tastes and nose and I did get a hint of blackberry. I bottled it on Jan 30.

Does it take forever to age?
Or should I grill up some hotdogs?

It sounds like you may have an acetobacter infection. Vinegar is a primary ingredient in mustard, and it is also the by-product of acetobacter bacteria.

I double checked the blackberry extract liquid which has been in the fridge since and it smelled fine. Then I took a swig of mustard. ymmmm, made me want a beer.

I'll keep checking the bottles as they age and see how it goes. Maybe a bacteria got in during that part of the bottling process, or is in the fruit extract but not detectable in its original form?

Back