Wort Aeration Stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggage

Reaction score
Anyone know of a reason I couldn't use an aquarium aeration stone instead of the stainless steel variety? Any significant benefits to the stainless steel diffusion stones or detractions from the acquarium stones? I've used the latter but wasn't sure if there was a risk of contamination, breakage, or other problems. (Obviously I would sanitize either thoroughly before using.)

The main advantage of the stainless steel stones is the smaller pores that allows for finer oxygenation. The stainless steel stones would also require a more powerful aquarium pump to push air through them if that's what you would be using instead of an oxygen tank.

Ive always used an aquarium stone i usually only use them for say 4 or 5 batches then throw them out but they are cheap and i probably dont have to throw them out i just get worried about contamination but ive never had an issue.

JMSetzler, I've been using a little disposable oxygen welding tank.

I guess the size of the bubbles isn't a big deal to me. Just didn't want any of that blue stone floating around in my beer. Thanks, everyone.

Iv'e used the little stones for many brews without problems .
I guess if small bits come away after a time they will fall out anyway .

I don't think the non stainless hold up.

Stainless all the way.
OxygenStone.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back