Damaged Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phidelt844

Reaction score
Hey fellas, long time reader, first time poster. Excellent information on here, so I figured I would catch some opinions on this one.

I decided recently to try a batch of Apfelvine, so I ordered an extra 6 gallon Better Bottle. It arrived today, but it looks to have been damaged during shipping. It's hard to describe, but it's almost like taking the bottom portion of a 20oz pop bottle and squeezing it in; it has around a one inch by 4 inch dent on the bottom. I was unable to get it out by sticking random objects in and batting it around. Anyways... my question is, should this be something worth dealing with the supplier/shipping company etc, or is there a chance that this dent will pop up with any pressure that builds up in the bottle? Anyone else have any experience with dents in their Better Bottle? Thanks for any feedback :mug:

I managed to melt mine like a dummy. Check it out. I've had no problems so far so i guess its just how badly you want to pursue the matter. I for one would want to start off with a defect free product. Just my opinion.

Don't send it back immediately... tell them the situation and they may just send you a new one for free, and then you'd have two! A manufacturer probably wouldn't do that but a brew store might...

Contact the people you ordered it from. I had the same problem one time. I ordered from Austin Homebrew Supply and Forrest fixed it right up. He sent me out a new one the next day. He explained to me that they have shipped thousands of them with only a couple ever having been damaged in shipping. He also explained that the box they ship it in is that size because to ship it in anything bigger would require an automatic 25 lbs shipping charge. I have yet to use the damaged one because I haven't had a need for it. It's still sitting in the closet in the original (damaged) box. I'm sure there will become a time, however, that it will be used somehow. My only concern would be that the dents might provide a hiding spot to a nasty bug or dirt, similar to scratches in plastic buckets.

Back