Please Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbohanna

Reaction score
I recently discovered the joy of red IPA's, and I am hoping someone here can help me. I am trying to discover a red IPA recipe I can attempt myself. I brew all-grain, and welcome any recipe's you would share!

pb

Do you have a IPA recipe that you already like? If so you can simply adjust the grain bill with a little cara-red or some Dehusked carafaIII or a little roast malt which will provide a reddish hue to the beer.

Thank you I appreciate the help, I am trying to recreate the red IPA that sierra nevada made, I will look into this tip!

I am new to all-grain brewing (I have done three brews so far and I am awaiting the results) so where would I adjust the grain bill? I am also looking for the deep malty flavor that comes with these red IPA's versus an IPA. Will this help with that as well?

I did, nothing that looks promising, that's why I joined a forum for homebrewers, I trust you guys more than I do google!

pbohanna said:
I am new to all-grain brewing (I have done three brews so far and I am awaiting the results) so where would I adjust the grain bill? I am also looking for the deep malty flavor that comes with these red IPA's versus an IPA. Will this help with that as well?

To a typical IPA recipe you can add 4-6oz of the aforementioned ingredients until you achieve the color you are looking for. Because they are crystal and specialty grains they will be less fermentable and add body and mouthfeel as well. If you are looking for a maltier beer you can also up your mash temp a few degrees to say 154-156 as well.

Have you looked at the recipe wiki? There are a lot of really great recipes there to peruse and then you can tweak one to achieve the color you are Looking for.

I know a few IPA recipes I'm looking at tweaking, any suggestions on which one I should do? (my all grain batches so far have been holiday brews for my family, so i havn't gotten the chance to try an IPA yet in all grain)

Back