Other Than Beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcat Brewmeister

Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...what else do you drink?

Right now I am low in homebrew and the fridge isn't very full either. When the weather cools down, I like to drink Brandy Manhattans. It takes me back to cold Wisconsin winters. I'm tipping back a few right now.

I Dig Irish Whiskey. A White Russian every now and then is good. SWMBO likes Gin & Tonic and I'll don one of those every now and then.

I'll drink most anything you set in front of me. A few favorites include:

Cider - a batch of apfelwein is often brewing here
Scotch - preferably single malt. Macallan 12 Yr is usually available at my house.
Bourbon - Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, Booker's
Other Whisk(e)y - Crown Royal, Jack Daniel's
Gin - Tanqueray, often with tonic and a splash of lime
Wine - Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Port

Oh, and I can't forget Jeremiah Weed Bourbon Liqueur - it's like "Lysol, alcohol, and a touch of gasoline" - it's a love/hate relationship

Im a big fan of all types of whiskey. Anything from American to Scotch. Got to be Single malt scotch though. Glenlivet and Macallan's are my fav.

Bourbon- Knob Creek, Elmer T. Lee, Elijah Craig, something more expensive if someone else is buying

Irish Whiskey- Redbreast is my favorite, Power's is good at half the price

Rum- Any good sipping rum. I have some 18 yo Flor de Cana that does the trick right now.

Cocktails- Sazeracs, Manhattans, Gin and Tonics, White Russians on occasion, and a Blood and Sand when I can get the ingredients together.

Non-alcoholic - I love yoohoo and peach iced tea (not together of course)

alcoholic - just white russians, i'm self-sworn off vodka after a bad night at college a few years back

Single Malt Scotch - The Macallan 18, Lagavulin 16, Talisker 10, Laphroaig 10
Small Batch Bourbon - Knob Creek, Basil Hayden's, Woodford Reserve

Winter... more Absolut Screwdrivers than normal to pump in the vitamin c, and burn out the germs...

I also drink a helluva lot more Irish Cream. Coffee and Hot Chocolate go down a lot better with something else to warm me up on a cold winter morning or after an afternoon outside.

Ize

Hey Ize is your avatar a Refer Madness shot?

I enjoy drinking everything that's been listed so far.

One of my favs that hasn't been mentioned is spicy dirty martinis hold the gin:

absolute peppar
a good dose of olive juice
several blue cheese stuffed olives (that red stuff is gross!)
and of course it must be shaken, not stirred
:)

Brewtopia said:
That's Jimmy Stewart as George Bailey in "It's a Wonderful Life".

:off:
HA!!! I knew I recognised it. Really its even funnier now that I can compare JIMMY Stewart as George Bailey to Christian Campbell as JIMMY Harper:

[YOUTUBE]C7Llxo6ykB8[/YOUTUBE]

I'll stop straying off topic now.

If I don't have beer and I want to get drunk, Long Island Iced Tea. I hate the taste of alcohol and that masks it well enough.

I also have a continuous IV drip of coffee. (Looking to get into roasting, actually.)

Woodford Reserve Bourbon
Glen Morangie single malt
Gin and tonic
Vodka and lemonade
Goslings rum neat and punch

Hmmmmm, I'll drink most anything EXCEPT tequila. Tequila is NOT my friend1

I'm with Yuri, I'll pretty much drink anything.

Scotch, bourbon, not a huge fan of tequila (too many bad college experiences I suppose)

And I enjoy a vodka martini from time to time. While it's not a true "martini", throw some good chilled vodka and olives in a glass and I'm a happy man.

Wine - usually red, but in the summer I'll drink white. But none of that super sickening-sweet Riesling that SWMBO likes ... ugh.

There's nary an alcoholic beverage I'll run from...

I'm a big ol' wine geek. I'm especially a freak for Cab Franc and Chenin Blanc from the Loire, and Riesling/Pinot Blanc/Gewurtztraminer from Alsace, and certain Burgundy producers too.

As for booze...

Bourbon first. Evan Williams (my namesake) Reserve...Woodford Reserve...Knob Creek...Maker's Mark. Single Malt Scotch second---the peatier the better. Dalwhinnie is one of my favorites. It goes even better with yard bocce (AKA Scocce Ball). I love a good Vespers Martini, too: 1 part vodka, 5 parts gin (Citadelle!), 1/2 part lillet blanc aperitif, mist with Noelly Prat and add a twist of lime. Holy hell, that's good stuff. And then I recently find out that it's Bond's drink? Nice. As for tequila, I really only drink one straight, and that's Patron. The rest I use in "real" margaritas---made with fresh-squeezed lime juice. For rum, I like lime daiquiri's, the real kind, lime, club soda, rum. I also make a mean mojito---it's a variation on Hemingway's original, in that it has bitters added.

I'll drink about anything, as long as it's not too sweet. A simple gin martini or gin and tonic are among my favorites when the weather is warm (or not). Jack Daniels and I go waaaay back and have never been cross with each other. I'm gathering a good appreciation for dark rum. Bourbons are good, but they usually make me think of Jack, so I go back that direction.

Tequila had a falling out back in high school, but we made up a long time ago and have enjoyed each other's company quite a bit. A good Mescal finds its way to me now and then, as well.

Red wine has a special place in my heart, too.

TL

I drank mixed drinks in the '70s (lots of rum&coke and Wallbangers), wines in the '80s, but switched to beer when the craft movement got started. In the last year, I've had one bottle of port, a pint or two of mead and maybe ten glasses of wine. Hard ciders occasionally. Bought some brandy the previous year. I can't remember the last time I had a mixed drink.

rabidgerbil said:
It is beginning to appear that I am the ONLY one here who prefers that particular poison. Fine by me, more for me :drunk:
I don't prefer tequila, but a really good one on the rocks with a twist of lime has been known to grace the bar in front of me.

I make a mean margarita as well - Hornitos Sauza with fresh lime and Gran Marnier. For a novelty variation in color, substitute Tarantula tequila and Curacao. When making frozen margaritas, I use similar ingredients, a can of frozen lime-ade, and a splash of Coor's Light. Don't ask me why, but the Coor's Light just seems to make it smoother. It's the best use for BMC I've found.

If it's fermented, it's good... beer, wine, cider, etc. The wife, on the other hand, has a thing for good tequila which she drinks straight pretty much like kool-aid.

Usually water.

But for spirit I go with:
Hot buttered Rum
Cadillac Margarita's
Whiskey

My swmbo and I can put down some wine. Espescially apfelwein.
Also Irish cream with coffee , some crovossier VSOP on a cold winter day
and if i'm lucky a sip of Gran Marnier 150 now and then

My personal favorates:

Irish Whiskey and sour (not Jameson) though a good candian could be used
Tullamore Dew 12 year straight up
Overly Dry Polish Vodka Martini's (put vodka in shaker add ice STIR and strain)
Wine could be in order if I'm eating or smoking my pipe or a cigar

My first choice of beverage on any occasion is a well crafted ale. When that's not available (yeah, I'm one of those snobs who won't drink BMC), I have a lot of back-ups:

SWMBO keeps a lot of red wine around and I'll occasionally have a glass with dinner.

I often find myself in bars with poor beer selections. In that situation, my 'usual' is:
Bombay Sapphire/splash of tonic/extra limes
I'd opt for another drinking establishment if I could, but I record live music and must go where the bands perform. Admittedly a cold G&T goes down well on a hot day too.

During the colder months I may go for a Crown & Coke at the bar.

Outings to Mexican restaurants always call for a margarita (or two) :drunk:

Summer music festivals where I have to stay awake all night (again, recording live music) call for Red Bull and vodka.

I never picked up on scotch, although a friend turned me on to some Redbreast (I know, it's Irish not Scotch) a year or two ago. That's some tasty stuff!

Bourbon, my favorite is Evan Williams single barrel. Problem is I have been on an A-blocker medication for a couple of years now, Terazosin, and I can drink like a fish without getting messed up, no hang over either. Big problem is after I go to sleep I may get up and sleepwalk if I have drank too much. Oh the stories I could tell. The OL has made me promise to not drink that bad, bad whikky for a while. I have agreed to obey as I don't get the typical hangover but my body still feels like I have gone a couple of rounds in the square circle. Prolly not too good for the liver either, and all the adult men on my dad's side of the family died in their late 70's of alchohol realted problems.
AP

hope i'm not too late, the wife and I usually have soda and always a large thing of water... it has a spout and all...

wine is only really good a few hours after opening, so we rarely have an open bottle of wine in the fridge.... we aren't big wine drinkers, but sometimes it makes for a nice evening...

Back