Could someone please explain this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Cat

Reaction score
Why would people be so neat and clean with sanitation and then go and brew outdoors with a turkey fryer? Am I missing something here? If the name of the game is clean and sanitize why would I ever think of brewing outdoors???

It's only post boil that it matters. Indoors/Outdoors, there's bugs everywhere. You wont get'em all but sanitizing all the gear after the boil will get enough.

Sanitation is important on the cold side of the process, ie after you start chilling the wort. During the boil, the heat keeps everything sanitized.

You obviously don't want stuff falling into your brew kettle, but sanitation isn't an issue until after the boil is complete.

For me the switch to outdoors was due to full boils, larger batches, and not smelling up the house with hop smells. (it did not bother me, but the wife and kids did not like the smell)

jdub1782 said:
For me the switch to outdoors was due to full boils, larger batches, and not smelling up the house with hop smells. (it did not bother me, but the wife and kids did not like the smell)

Same here! I don't know why SWMBO doesn't like it. I think it's the best smell in the world!

High pressure propane is also not very popular indoors. As has been said, most homes have more dust and germs than the outdoors.

jdub1782 said:
Sanitation is important on the cold side of the process, ie after you start chilling the wort. During the boil, the heat keeps everything sanitized.

You obviously don't want stuff falling into your brew kettle, but sanitation isn't an issue until after the boil is complete.

Really? My daughter loves to smell the hops. Maybe training at an early age helps. On topic though I thought about this too but I was told it's ok so am I'm moving outside as. Soon as I get a burner. I might build something like a wood shed to brew in to keep the wind and rain out.

Really? My daughter loves to smell the hops. Maybe training at an early age helps. On topic though I thought about this too but I was told it's ok so am I'm moving outside as. Soon as I get a burner. I might build something like a wood to brew in to keep the wind and rain out.

I have two teenagers, so I am perfectly happy for them not to like the smell of my beer. At least for a few more years.

jdub1782 said:
I have two teenagers, so I am perfectly happy for them not to like the smell of my beer. At least for a few more years.

Oh she doesn't like the smell of beer after it's done just during the brewing process.

Big_Cat said:
Why would people be so neat and clean with sanitation and then go and brew outdoors with a turkey fryer? Am I missing something here? If the name of the game is clean and sanitize why would I ever think of brewing outdoors???

Because most people don't have a nice gas stove in the house with enough btu and when your boiling its sanitized! Dahl!

Senior Member, 255 posts...hmmm...show us your indoor setup Big Cat...

I doubt the inside of your house is any cleaner than the outside anyway...unless you have a positive pressure clean room with HEPA filtration and all the rest. Besides, if you're full on with a plate chiller, pump, tubing, fittings, etc, you are far more likely to get an infection from one of those instead. How many times have you thought something was properly cleaned and sanitized only to find out that it needed to be further disassembled and scrubbed to meet your standards? As far as brewing outside, I find that there is a greater connection with the brewing process when it is done outside. I mean if you think about it, you are using grains that are probably relatively dirty, and how clean are the hops that you dry hop with? Getting outside and brewing just feels right when you're pouring freshly ground grains and dumping those fresh smelling hops. Why not get some of that fresh air into your beer as well ;)

My best homebrew to date is an IPA I call Dust Devil IPA. The reason I call it that is because I was brewing it in 40+ MPH winds with a total "brown-out" of dust. It came out sublime. The boil keeps out or kills the nasties, and I cover the kettle with foil while I chill. Then I transfer over to a bucket that is also covered in foil via 3 way valve and a hose. Nothing bad got into my brew! :rockin:

Because most people don't have a nice gas stove in the house with enough btu and when your boiling its sanitized! Dahl!

That, plus I don't want to fire up a 188,000 BTU burner indoors.
Heat rises and keeps the air flow away from the wort.
Like others have said, there are plenty of germs indoors.

Lastly, it's beer. Control what you can, don't worry about what you can't.

Senior Member, 255 posts...hmmm...show us your indoor setup Big Cat...

Lol

I cook indoors and have friends that cook outdoors but even though i know that bringing up the temperatures to boil sanitizes the wort it still needs to cool afterwards and that's where the unsanitary part bothers me. Inside my home i control my environment ...there isn't wind with god knows what flying around ..my home is clean and i keep it that way.
I don't worry about boil overs because I don't leave the kitchen , while I'm boiling I'm using my time to prepare for the after boil. Maybe is just me and my way of feeling comfortable...I guess to each its own.

During the winter I do all of my brewing outside, including cooling and pitching the yeast. Why? Because yes, while there are microbes floating around everywhere, indoors and out, which one is going to be more active? One that's been floating around on a speck of dust in the 25*F morning, or one that's been hanging out on your ceiling at a nice cozy 70*F?

edit: and of course, everything is easier to clean up outside. Boilover? It gets the hose. Forgot to close the spigot before dumping in sparge water? It gets the hose. Too lazy to walk spent grains to the woods and just dumped them on the driveway? It gets the hose.

Most kitchen stoves do not output enough heat to bring 7+ gallons to a rolling boil like a propane burner does.

During the winter I do all of my brewing outside, including cooling and pitching the yeast. Why? Because yes, while there are microbes floating around everywhere, indoors and out, which one is going to be more active? One that's been floating around on a speck of dust in the 25*F morning, or one that's been hanging out on your ceiling at a nice cozy 70*F?

edit: and of course, everything is easier to clean up outside. Boilover? It gets the hose. Forgot to close the spigot before dumping in sparge water? It gets the hose. Too lazy to walk spent grains to the woods and just dumped them on the driveway? It gets the hose.

forgets to rub the lotion on its' skin? it gets the hose again. :rockin:

I'm gonna have to start a new compost pile. but our gardens should be nice this year!

Fire inside....bad. Fire outside....good. Gronk like outside fire! Outside fire cook while brew beer! Many sausages cook while brewing...good!

Hahahahahhahaha i loved reading this so much that had to acted it out for wife lol thanks for the laugh lol

Makes sense but i live in south Florida and we never get 25f ..its cooler inside my home than its outside and that includes winter where our coldest day was 62 lol

Back